Blow-off tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
Having only fermented in 6.5 glass carboys before, I'll have to ferment a beer this weekend in a 5 gallon (better bottle) carboy. Thus, I'll need to use a blow-off tube. Can I get away with one of those thin racking tubes (not sure what size they are exactly) or do I need one of those fat ones? Just wondering about the tube getting stuck. Thanks!

I've done it with the racking tube but I checked and cleared it a couple times while doing it. OTOH, if you have a True Value nearby they have the 3/4" tubing for cheap.

New here as well, but the larger tube is used to ensure that it doesn't get clogged up. Once clogged, then you got a real (and messy) problem.

I used a Coppers kit on my first batch with a 6.5 gal bucket and had to switch from an air lock to a blow off tube on day 3 due to all the crud coming out of that thing. That was exciting, but all turned out well.

Back