blow off tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legions

Reaction score
can i use a blow off tube on my secondary if i don't have the proper bung for an airlock on a Better Bottle?

also, should i worry about oxidation because of the extra air space in a six gallon BB that i'll be using for my secondary?

Some people just like to secondary. :)

If you do choose to use a secondary/bright tank, yes you can use a blow off tube, just make sure its going into some starsan, but I doubt there would be any suck back in secondary.

As far as the headspace goes, if you rack it properly and don't expose the beer to air, it will off gas plenty of CO2 that should fill up the head space.

Exactly. And get a proper airlock, there is no need whatsoever for a blowoff tube on a secondary.

blow off tube and airlock are essentially the same thing. and as far as the other question, they sent the wrong bung and i'm not paying shipping for one little piece of rubber. i'll get it as soon as i order more ingredients and/or equipment.

Back