Blow off tube/Fermcaps with Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsta Porter

Reaction score
Hello,

Just made my first mead. Did a search for this and came up empty.

Do I need a blow off tube? Recipe had 5 gal batch size, 15 pounds of sage honey and used 2 packets of Lalvin 71B-1122.

If blow off is an issue, can I use Fermcap, like I do with beer?

Many thanks!!

If it's a brew you aren't intimately familiar with, I say use the blowoff tube for at least the first 3 days of fermentation. If you're brewing 5 gallons of mead in a 5 gallon carboy, the answer should be pretty obvious. If it's a 6 gallon container, it's a roll of the dice. Bigger than 6, and you'd most likely be alright.

I don't mess around with Fermcap, so I can't help you there.

I rarely have any need for a blow off at all, just keep an eye on it as it picks up and if it starts bubbling up stick a blowoff on it for a few days.

I have yet to have a mead build up enough to need a blow off tube if you gave it even close to enough room, say and inch or 2 down from the shoulder of the carboy (or 2 inches down from the top of a fermy bucket) you should be fine. Most Meads unlike beers dont make monster krusten and dont seem to ferm quite as rapidly as the beers do. You should be fine.

Mead is generally pretty mild mannered when it comes to really aggressive fermentation. One exception is blueberries. Blueberries not only ferment well but they sometimes clog the airlock and quite a few people have had to deal with the resultant disaster.

Back