Blow off tube came out of sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebrewsgoyim

Reaction score
So I am making a Belgian Witbier, which I am so excited to do. I used a blowoff tube. The first day was aggressive fermenting. I used wyeast and a starter. It is in a fast ferment conical. I came down to my "beer room" which is my cold storage at 68 degrees the second day (yesterday). The blow off tube had come out of the sanitizer. I put it back in. I have no idea how long it was out for. But it was going really slow at that point. I switch to an airlock today (day 3) and I get maybe a bubble a minute. I know not to count bubbles, but after the tube coming out, I am concerned. I wonder if I oxidized my beer, or if it should be ok because the CO2 was flowing down the tube? Any tips?

CurrentLy brewing: Cream Ale with Peach Purée, a Belgian Witbier.
On Deck: a "California Common" amber steam beer. Lager/Ale.
In carboys Wine Expert Pinot Grigio Limited Edition, in batch conditioning, bottling in December. And an Island Mist Pinot Grigio/Cranberry for everyday drinking fun at $2.50 a bottle.

Two batches under the belt: an American Pale ale with Peach Purée(hops took over the peach). And a Orange Honey wheat beer....just getting good after 7 weeks in the bottle.

Carry on and enjoy a delicious Witbier in your future. During active fermentation, flow through the blowoff tube is all out, so there are no significant worries of oxidation or infection.

Sweet!!!! Thank you all. I was really excited about this batch. Orange peel and coriander. Yum! I didn't want any issues. Let's hear it for the Fast Ferment Conicals! I love my two! Making the Lager in two weeks! I am so excited. I need more bottles!

My first two brews. I just got married, hence the second brew name. It was an orange, honey wheat. My daughter is a graphic artist. So yeah, free label design!

image.jpeg

Wow, glad I searched before posting. I had the EXACT same issue. In fact, I'm making almost the exact same beer! Sounds like I don't need to worry, even though there appears to be nothing coming out of the BT now. I'll switch to an airlock tonight and see if I get any bubbles.

Since it was only the second day into fermentation, there is still plenty of yeast activity and they probably have been enjoying the extra supply of O2 :D If this were day 4 or 5 of fermentation, that's a different story. The few people who like to do open air fermentation have it open for about 2 to 3 days before transferring to a carboy. Enjoy your witbier!

Latest posts

Back