Blow-off through airlock, what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bradmont

Reaction score
I started my second ever batch with a buddy yesterday, and the yeast are going pretty vigorously this morning. The krausen when I checked it this morning was filling pretty much all the head space in the carboy, and just now I saw that it has bubbled up and through the airlock (the single-piece S kind) and pushed out the sterilized water (there's a bit of wort in there now). There also seems to be a fair amount of pressure, I can hear the CO2 pushing out the cap on top of the airlock. It didn't make for a severe blowoff, but this happened in the last hour or so, so it might get worse.

So, I'm wondering what I should do now -- if I refill the airlock, I'm a little afraid the same thing will happen again, and I don't have the equipment for a blowoff tube. Should I leave it until it calms down a bit, or go ahead and refill the airlock? Any other suggestions?

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
While it's pushing out co2 at a fast rate there ain't nothing getting in there. However, i would still put a fresh airlock full of sanitizer in there. That gunk solidifies pretty hard and could plug your airlock. Just be sanitary while doing a changeover and you are golden.

OP
Bradmont

Bradmont

Reaction score
Ok, I replaced the airlock with a three-piece that I had in the supply bin. I didn't put the cap on top super tight, though, and while I was washing out the old one, I heard a pop and the cap clattered to the floor. A minute later, the same again, and it had popped the middle piece out too. I think I'm just going to wait a while before replacing it.

pwndabear

Reaction score
if it's still going crazy, you can attach a piece of vinyl tubing to the innermost part of your 3-piece airlock and have it running into a bucket of sanitizer. if you do this make sure you sanitize the tubing.

Reaction score
You haven't experienced blow off until you are cleaning wort off of your ceiling. :p

Really though it is cranking out CO2, hence the blowout, so you are good as long as you sterilize before you replace.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
if it's still going crazy, you can attach a piece of vinyl tubing to the innermost part of your 3-piece airlock and have it running into a bucket of sanitizer. if you do this make sure you sanitize the tubing.
He doesn't have the gear for a blow-off. I'm betting that he will do soon though. ;)

OP
Bradmont

Bradmont

Reaction score
Actually, I went ahead and did what pwndabear suggested, with a small-diameter syphon tube. I was thinking that a blowoff needed to be one of those big, fat syphons, but this is doing the job fine. :) The bucket is a big aluminum pot, so I'm getting interesting metallic bubbling sounds from the brew closet now...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Latest posts