Blow off or airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadS

Reaction score
can I continue to use a blowoff tube for my beer or do I need to replace it after fermentation settles down?

As long as you have a decent way to deal with cold crash suck back, theres no need to switch to an airlock.

I always use a blow-off until I cold crash because I don't want to put a big cup of water in the fridge. I switch to an S type airlock for cold crashing.

I wouldn't seal the lid unless you're putting it in to cold crash but that's just me. I've gotten too busy to continue to the next step before so I'd be too worried about it not being able to degas. Plus, racking beer that's a little carbonated, more so than just after a regular fermentation, could cause unwanted foaming and aeration.

If you have a decent amount of blow tube going into a jar of sanitizer. Mine is about 2.5-3’. And you slowly chill beer maybe 5* f per day your not going to get suck back.

A blow off tube into a container of water is an airlock. You only need to replace it if you need to take up less space.

Back