Blow-off clean up and sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

radiogorillaz

Reaction score
Without over-sharing; I got a stomach bug before Thanksgiving and the picture below shows how my Oatmeal Stout needed its blow-off tube, yet it still created a mess. I think it was Monday when fermentation was the most active and the messiest. This was also the day I felt the worst.

I'm finally feeling better, but have I waited to long to clean everything? The milk jug had a half ounce of star san in a half gal of filtered water and the bubbler had star san as well. The plan is to one at a time clean everything first by spraying the outside with a star san then making a star san and reattached it all. Anything wrong with this plan? Should I have fixed this earlier?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417276787.543345.jpg

Paradingbull

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It should be fine. Clean it up and put it back, or switch to an airlock if the activity has slowed. You should have had enough CO2 pressure to keep anything bad going back in the beer.

OP
R

radiogorillaz

Reaction score
Thanks bro. Kinda realized after posting this that the thread was kind of dumb and I knew what I needed to do.

day_trippr

Moderna Or Bust! :D
Reaction score
Using an S-lock with a blow-off - what's that all about?

Cheers!

OP
R

radiogorillaz

Reaction score
I knew it was a big beer and that's all I have for an airlock. Didn't have much headspace either so I added the tube as a backup. Glad I did. I do need to get a 3-piece so I don't have to Frankenstein it so much.

Latest posts