Blood orange wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighooligan

Reaction score
Ok I have a ton of oranges on my tree and I am trying to find a good recipe for blood orange wine. Everyone tells me that the citrus kills yeast is there anything I can do to change this? Any help?

I hope "everyone" doesn't include folks here, as the popularity of things like skeeter pee goes directly against the concept of citrus killing the yeast. Citrus does make a more hostile environment for the yeast, but it's nothing that can't be overcome.

Have you looked at any of the orange wine recipes available out there on the interwebs? I'm sure there's some available on HBT as well, in the recipe forum.

Hope this helps!

Agreed. Citrus doesn't kill yeast but it is not easy on even the most aggressive wine yeast. That said, I'd make a sort of skeeter pee but replace all lemon juice with blood orange juice.

I wish I could find blood oranges here right now. Yum.

Right on. i am still kind of new to this. Just kind of jumped into a new hobby and having fun with it. LOL
Anyways I have 4 trees that get loaded with them so I will do a few batches probably. I will have to look and see what I can find. I was kind of hoping someone had maybe tried one and had success. I found a few on the web but IDK There was no feedback on them.

Back