Fruit Beer Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD-SLIM

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Mix
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 DAYS
Tasting Notes
Dark sweet citrus explosion!
All Grain

6.00lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
4lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Light Brown Sugar
****Mash 158 for 45 minutes****
0.25 Cascade Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Cascade Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
0.50 Orange Zest 5 Minutes
2 yeast...Wyeast 1007 and Wyeast 3333
Wyeast 1007 and starter used to start fermentation
Wyeast 3333 used when you add blood orangeade, no starter
****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
After Vigorous Fermentation subsides (3 days), add Blood Orangeade
****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

I used to use fresh blood oranges for this recipe and if you would like to, feel free to email me and I will give you the instructions...but cautious, several people screwed it up by getting some of the white skin in the mixture.
Here is the recipe for the blood orangeade:
1 x 1.75 liter of Simply Lemonade mixed with 8 to 9 ounces of Torani Blood Orange Extract, sample to see if you like the flavor before adding....add after 3 to 4 days of vigorous fermentation has ended, also dont forget to add Wyeast 3333 at this time, blow off tube strongly recommended for this recipe...if you do not have a blow off tube, then sanitize a piece of aluminum foil and lightly form an upside down cap on top of your fermentor neck...this will allow more gas to escape and will prevent wild yeast from invading...make sure foil comes down the neck by an inch.

This is the 18th and final version of this recipe for me, I tried to make it fool proof so that everyone can enjoy this one!

Some questions I know some people will ask:
- Extract Version - Yes, give me a couple of weeks to make it and test it before I post...in the interm, you can use the extract base from my Lemon Lime Hefe, just add brown sugar, change hops and use bloodaide.
-Secondary Fermentation - No, I rarely use secondary fermentation, because these yeast will kick some sugar ass and make a great beer, so why remove them!
-Subs - Feel free to sub what you want, I know I had 18 versions of this and finally found this one to be a great beer.
-Dual Yeast - I made several versions of this beer and couldnt find the right yeast, both of these applied at different times did what I was looking for...created a damn good beer!
-Torani Syrup - Google it and you can buy it on line, or at a restaurant/coffee supply place.
- 5 or 6 Gallon Recipe - The base is 5 Gallons + Bloodade
-IBU's/Gravity or Color dont Match - I use Beersmith as a recording tool, sometimes their may be calculation errors, but if you make great beer than the rest is kind of irrelevant to me...unless it prevents me from making beer.

slim
found your link here from your lemon-lime hefe post. I was looking for a spring beer and found 2. Both sound delicious. I will be brewing both recipes March 24th. I will post my results.
Happy brewing--cheers!!

sneeron said:
slim
found your link here from your lemon-lime hefe post. I was looking for a spring beer and found 2. Both sound delicious. I will be brewing both recipes March 24th. I will post my results.
Happy brewing--cheers!!

I think you will like both...don't forget to post pictures. I re-posted this one due to requests for it...so I don't have any recent brew pictures, but with the syrup you are able to get a nice blood red beer!

I can't wait to try this out! My Lemon Lime Hef is almost done bottle conditioning, only three more days! I'm also going to do a double brew day (or maybe a brew weekend) for my second LLH and the Blood Orange. I did have two quick questions.

1. Can I substitute White Labs yeast for the Wyeast (WLP029 for 1007, and WLP380 for 3333)? I know for the LLH that the WLP380 was key to the recipe. I only ask because my LHBS only carries WL yeast. I'd be more than happy to make the much longer drive to the next LHBS if the yeast is as instrumental in this recipe (or order online).

2. I know for the 3333 you mention not using a starter. Assuming I can sub the WLP380 for the 3333, do you think I could buy one vial, make a starter, split in two, use one for the BOH, and then step up the remaining half for the LLH? Or should I just suck it up and buy two vials? If you don't recommend subing the yeast I guess it's not an issue.

Either way I'm excited to brew this up!

Thanks again for another great recipe!

AVLbrewing said:
I can't wait to try this out! My Lemon Lime Hef is almost done bottle conditioning, only three more days! I'm also going to do a double brew day (or maybe a brew weekend) for my second LLH and the Blood Orange. I did have two quick questions.

1. Can I substitute White Labs yeast for the Wyeast (WLP029 for 1007, and WLP380 for 3333)? I know for the LLH that the WLP380 was key to the recipe. I only ask because my LHBS only carries WL yeast. I'd be more than happy to make the much longer drive to the next LHBS if the yeast is as instrumental in this recipe (or order online).

2. I know for the 3333 you mention not using a starter. Assuming I can sub the WLP380 for the 3333, do you think I could buy one vial, make a starter, split in two, use one for the BOH, and then step up the remaining half for the LLH? Or should I just suck it up and buy two vials? If you don't recommend subing the yeast I guess it's not an issue.

Either way I'm excited to brew this up!

Thanks again for another great recipe!

1007 is a good sub...however 3333 is a very temperamental yeast that often leaves a sulfur taste to the beer...so I wouldn't recommend that one.!

BigRedHopHead said:
Just marking for reference. I gotta try this one!!

I think you will enjoy it...by moving away from making my own blood orangeade, it makes this a simple recipe to execute.

Thanks for the recipe!

Maybe dumb question, but should I aerate when I add the second yeast, or is this yeast's only job to eat the sugar from the orangeade? Never done a dual yeast fermentation.

Thanks!

Raven1469 said:
Thanks for the recipe!

Maybe dumb question, but should I aerate when I add the second yeast, or is this yeast's only job to eat the sugar from the orangeade? Never done a dual yeast fermentation.

Thanks!

No need to aerate or create a starter, just bring up to fermentation temp and dump in!

Raven1469 said:
Thanks man!

Every recipe I've seen of yours makes my mouth water! Can't wait to make this one as well!

I appreciate...I'm a couple of months away from posting 11 new recipes, but I always try and make then a few times before posting. I hope you enjoy this one!

SD-SLIM said:
I appreciate...I'm a couple of months away from posting 11 new recipes, but I always try and make then a few times before posting. I hope you enjoy this one!

11 new recipes?!? Not to derail this thread to much from the original great recipe, but want to give any clues on what you are working on? More hefs? Fruit additions to other styles?

Keep up the good work!

AVLbrewing said:
11 new recipes?!? Not to derail this thread to much from the original great recipe, but want to give any clues on what you are working on? More hefs? Fruit additions to other styles?

Keep up the good work!

I have a couple of IPA's, a bunch of Ales (some with fruit additions) and then my darker beer recipes couple of porters and a peanut butter stout....I think they all will be slightly different, but all fun to brew and drink!

SD-SLIM said:
I have a couple of IPA's, a bunch of Ales (some with fruit additions) and then my darker beer recipes couple of porters and a peanut butter stout....I think they all will be slightly different, but all fun to brew and drink!

Oh and I have a Mac & Jacks clone

Wow man! Can't wait to check them out! :mug:

mosiris said:
At what point are you using the 1lb of light brown sugar?

Sorry for the confusion on that...it's at the boil, similar to working with extract.

I brewed this a few weeks ago with Simply Limeade instead of Lemonade (because I freaking love Limeade)- after a few weeks in the keg it has mellowed quite nicely and is really good, but probably a bit more tart than the original recipe (but not in a bad way!).

Great recipe!

bloodorange.jpg

Posting to keep track of your receipes. You remind me of the Radical Brewing guy. Experimental but well thought out. Going to use your wheat base for a maple beer, i'm collecting about 5 gals of tree sap a day right now. I'll try to collect 50 gals, then boil down to get some meaningful flavor. Then mash with it. And use different hops.

diodeart said:
Posting to keep track of your receipes. You remind me of the Radical Brewing guy. Experimental but well thought out. Going to use your wheat base for a maple beer, i'm collecting about 5 gals of tree sap a day right now. I'll try to collect 50 gals, then boil down to get some meaningful flavor. Then mash with it. And use different hops.

Very cool, take pictures

I've been wanting to do a blood orange fruit ale, so it makes me happy to see this. I'll definitely use this as a reference while trying to plan it. Currently blood oranges aren't available in the local stores so I'm just trying to figure out what I'll do so that I can spring on it once they do become available.

dudius said:
I've been wanting to do a blood orange fruit ale, so it makes me happy to see this. I'll definitely use this as a reference while trying to plan it. Currently blood oranges aren't available in the local stores so I'm just trying to figure out what I'll do so that I can spring on it once they do become available.

If I remember right, blood oranges from California come in to season in December and die down around March, foreign exports usually come in around January and are gone by May....so you might want to start looking at a high end grocery store, like whole foods or something like that.

If I remember right, blood oranges from California come in to season in December and die down around March, foreign exports usually come in around January and are gone by May....so you might want to start looking at a high end grocery store, like whole foods or something like that.

Ha! We just have Walmart and a clone here. I bought blood oranges throughout their season without realizing what their season was. Guess I can always plan ahead for next winter.

What about using just an ounce of sorachi (added at the times you provided) instead of splitting between sorachi and cascade? Would that be too bitter or lemony? I guess to each his own, but was wondering how you came to split bw the two. I think I am going to brew this on Thursday or Friday but I might leave out the blood orange syrup of I cannot obtain it by then, so I guess I would have a lemon hefe

nolabrew85 said:
What about using just an ounce of sorachi (added at the times you provided) instead of splitting between sorachi and cascade? Would that be too bitter or lemony? I guess to each his own, but was wondering how you came to split bw the two. I think I am going to brew this on Thursday or Friday but I might leave out the blood orange syrup of I cannot obtain it by then, so I guess I would have a lemon hefe

I have a lemon lime Hef recipe on this site....the reason for the split is to decrease the bitterness and to create various depths of flavor from the hops....having said that, since its your beer, feel free to adjust the recipe in any way to accommodate your tastes. Also if you can't find the syrup locally, try going to Toranis site and they will tell you the closest vendor or just google and order on line...I believe through amazon it was only $3 to ship!

dudius said:
Ha! We just have Walmart and a clone here. I bought blood oranges throughout their season without realizing what their season was. Guess I can always plan ahead for next winter.

I didn't even know Walmart carried them!

I just went onto there site and the have a store online now. I think I will be trying a bunch of the flavors. What have you tried slim?

integra93ls said:
I just went onto there site and the have a store online now. I think I will be trying a bunch of the flavors. What have you tried slim?

I have used vanilla, peanut butter, raspberry, grapefruit and blood orange

sfrisby said:
You mind sharing which of those you thought we're worth using again in a recipe?

I liked them all except for peanut butter...I haven't perfected my peanut butter porter recipe, so it could be the recipe versus the syrup.

SD-SLIM said:
I liked them all except for peanut butter...I haven't perfected my peanut butter porter recipe, so it could be the recipe versus the syrup.

Not to get to far OT, but have you tried the powdered PB2? I am planning on trying that for the first time with a Reese's Porter later in the summer.

Back