American IPA Blood Moon IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone put together an all grain recipe for this one? Sounds like a great brew!

I'm new to brewing and this will be my third batch! My LHBS only has the citra hops in whole form, no pellets. In addition it does not have galaxy so I am using more citra instead. Is this okay to do? It won't make the beer bad will it?

I'm new to brewing and this will be my third batch! My LHBS only has the citra hops in whole form, no pellets. In addition it does not have galaxy so I am using more citra instead. Is this okay to do? It won't make the beer bad will it?

I would just double up on the citra replacing galaxy with citra. It will turn out amazing either way! Like others have posted, it will come out more like zombie dust, not exactly like zombie dust because zombie dust is all citra hops and this one will have cascade with citra.

Good luck and enjoy :tank:

I would just double up on the citra replacing galaxy with citra. It will turn out amazing either way! Like others have posted, it will come out more like zombie dust, not exactly like zombie dust because zombie dust is all citra hops and this one will have cascade with citra.

Good luck and enjoy :tank:

Thanks for the reply. My LHBS was actually out of the citra as well so I only had 3 ounces of cascade to work with. With a 3 gallon boil I'm looking at about 31 IBU? I guess it sadly won't be an IPA but hopefully it'll still be a tasty pale ale!

I Just finished brewing the blood moon IPA recipe got it all cooled and into the carboy now and decided to take an OG reading, the reading I'm getting with my hydrometer is around 1.088! The original recipe on here gives a OG of 1.061 how on earth did I mess the up?

I Just finished brewing the blood moon IPA recipe got it all cooled and into the carboy now and decided to take an OG reading, the reading I'm getting with my hydrometer is around 1.088! The original recipe on here gives a OG of 1.061 how on earth did I mess the up?

Did you do a partial boil or full? This could matter because if you did a partial and added the rest of your water later then you may not have shaken it up together enough. You either did not mix it enough or did not have 5 gallons of wort.

I did a partial boil, adding 2 gallons of water after the boil. I must have not mixed it well enough if no one else who has brewed this has had a problem.

I did a partial boil, adding 2 gallons of water after the boil. I must have not mixed it well enough if no one else who has brewed this has had a problem.

My general practice is mix it up until I think it mixed pretty good, then mix it up for another minute :mug:

Whats the difference between steeping and mashing?? Is it just a late addition?

1lb Belgian - Caramel Pils (Steep for 30 minutes at 155)

Steeping is like mashing except that are no base grains (2-row, 6-row, pilsner, maris otter, or pale malts) and you can give little regard to temperature other than to stay above 140 and under 165/170 for the time described. Steeping is mostly for color and adjunct flavor.

If you are still confused, check out some of the articles in the beginners section or one of the popular books out there like 'How to Brew' by John Palmer.

No all grain version yet? Any suggestions?

6lbs LME - Light
2lbs DME - Light (Late addition, last 15 minutes of boil)

1lb Belgian - Caramel Pils (Steep for 30 minutes at 155)

With that grain bill just keep the begian carapills and then sub out the appropriate gravity of 2-row barley. I don't have Beer Smith or Brew Toad in front of me but this may be one of the easier conversions possible. Here is a site with some conversion factors: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/3-simple-steps-converting-grain-recipes-extract/

So, assuming 65% efficiency, you'd be looking at 6.0/0.63 + 2.0/0.52 = 13.3 lbs of 2-row for the main fermentables.

For the 1lb Belgian - Caramel Pils couldn't find my supplier closes thing was Briess Caramel Vienne Malt 20L

It came out pretty good. I'd say 3.5/5
Great aroma! I actually over primed due to an error so too much carbonation. Oh well. No bottle bombs.

2db9962d8c3d0b0b97d162cbd79e255a_640x640.jpg

I'm making this recipe today! However, my store only sells hops in 2-ounce bags - as such I have an extra once of Cascade. Do I throw caution to the wind, and start with two ounces of bittering hops for the full boil or will that trash the project?

I've been looking for a blood orange IPA recipe, similar to Flying Dog's Bloodline, and think I'm going to take this and play with it. Working up the recipe now and hoping to brew this weekend. This should be a fun one :)

I'm making this recipe today! However, my store only sells hops in 2-ounce bags - as such I have an extra once of Cascade. Do I throw caution to the wind, and start with two ounces of bittering hops for the full boil or will that trash the project?

Toss in the extra ounce at the END of the boil instead of the beginning. This will get you slightly more hop aroma and flavor as opposed to a ton more bitterness (which is what using it at the start of the boil would do)

I'm on day five of the fermentation of this recipe, and the airlock is still going bananas! I had to add more starsan to the airlock as so much foamed out of the top. I know everyone says it doesn't matter how long the airlock goes, but I can't shake the feeling that more airlock activity means more awesomeness. No questions here; just straight reporting.

I scaled this down to a 1 gallon batch to try it out. I accidentally substituted crystal 40L in place of the caramel pils. The end result was fantastic. I am going to brew a 5 gallon batch this weekend but am not sure if I should stick with the crystal or switch to caramel pils, or maybe a combination of both. I am a novice and dont know what the different between the two grains is. If I switch to caramel pils what will be the effect?

I scaled this down to a 1 gallon batch to try it out. I accidentally substituted crystal 40L in place of the caramel pils. The end result was fantastic. I am going to brew a 5 gallon batch this weekend but am not sure if I should stick with the crystal or switch to caramel pils, or maybe a combination of both. I am a novice and dont know what the different between the two grains is. If I switch to caramel pils what will be the effect?

Carapils - has a clear, glassy endosperm and contributes unfermentable sugars that add foam stability, and palate fullness to beer. Use up to 5% to improve body and significantly enhance head retention without adding flavor or color to your beer

Crystal 40 - is a popular and verstaile medium caramel malt that will contribute rich golden hues and smooth flavors of sweet toffee and caramel. Use 3-15% in many beer styles to enhance the body, foam stability, color, and flavor of your beer.

You can't really go wrong with either, I've made great beers with both. I would go for the using both option. Good luck!

Oh man that's almost exactly what I was going for I just couldn't make it! What program did you use? Any chance you could post the PDF or whatever file format you have it in?

Just about to finish my bottles of this. Only my second batch ever so I probably messed it up somewhere along the way. My fermenter had a strong fruit smell, almost rotten? I think my problems were pitching at too high a temp (~74) and fermenting at too high a temperature (~71).

I tried it after a week in the bottle and it was nothing but bitterness with no smell or taste. I almost considered pouring it all out but I waited another two weeks and it got much better with less bitterness, more flavor and a fruity aroma.

Is the fruit aroma a result of fermenting at too high of a temperature?

Certainly drinkable though and STRONG! Took some camping and it put my friends right to bed haha.
Thanks bowlersp for the recipe, will try it again sometime!
1430703763961.jpg

That's a good-lookin' label! Inspires me to find something somewhat similar for a brew I call "Bad Moon Rising".

Thanks! If you look closely, you'll see a fairly transparent orange half superimposed over the moon, as it's a citrusy IPA!

I did notice that! I looked at the .png in "close-up" mode, it's pretty apparent.

*applause*

Back