Blondes, Blondes, and More Blondes (Ales)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Ok,

So, I have been thinking about the simplicity of blondes and now that my local temps are below 70F at night, I am thinking this could be a small batch fun experiment.

While thinking, I wondered what the oddest blondes that have been made. So, if you are so inclined, give us an idea of the odd blonde ales that you have made or ones that you would like to make.

Here is a list of ideas that have crossed my mind since studying this beer type:

Blonde Ale Ideas:

• Honey Blonde (small amount of Honey Malt)
  • Oolong Blonde (~2oz of Oolong tea steeped for 1.5gal batch)
  • Green/White Tea Blonde (same rate as above)
  • Hot Blonde (Chopped Habanero peppers added)
  • Spicy Blonde (Peppercorns added)
  • Pickle Blonde (Pickling spices steeped)
  • Blondes of Paradise (Grains of paradise steeped)
  • Citrus Blonde (Zest from lime/lemon/orange/grapefruit)
  • Peachy Blonde (1-2oz peach brandy added before bottling)

I think I will try the Honey and Oolong blonde in small batches (1.5gal) to see how this works out. Although the Hot Blonde would be nice when it gets cold here. :)

What an orgy! Sounds like a great experiment, having all those in a lineup at once would be great. I recently brewed up my first blonde ale. It was on the order of a honey blonde with honey malt, no honey. You can look at the brewblog here. I was conservative with the honey malt but my fiance likes it. The bachelor party killed the other keg of Black Honey Spruce Ale my dad made, and probably left half of mine. So much for thinking the BMC drinkers would prefer the dark beer! I haven't had enough of it myself to give an honest review of it yet, though.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Just brewed up a blueberry blonde last Saturday and it is bubbling like crazy.

Couple more came to mind:

• Bacon Blonde (Hickory smoked bacon "dry hopped" when fermentation is complete)
  • Asian Blonde (50% 2-row + 50% rice sugar solids + Sorachi hops)
  • Mexican Blonde (50% 2-row + 50% agave syrup; peppers optional)

Couple more came to mind:

• Bacon Blonde (Hickory smoked bacon "dry hopped" when fermentation is complete)
  • Asian Blonde (50% 2-row + 50% rice sugar solids + Sorachi hops)
  • Mexican Blonde (50% 2-row + 50% agave syrup; peppers optional)

I would used hickory smoked grain instead of dry hopping with meat.

Back