Blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I am trying to branch out and want to try and get something similar to Firestone Walker 805. This is what I have found so far:

9lbs of US 2 row
.75lbs of Torrified Wheat
.75lbs Honey Malt

1 oz williamette hops at 60 mins
2 oz williamette hops at 5 mins

White Labs WLP002 yeast

Mash 3.6 gallons of water at 166 to get to 154F when grains are added

60 min mash

Sparge to get 6 gallons (Might go a bit higher here to account for boil off)

Ferment at 68F until final gravity is reached

Thoughts?

A Blonde doesn't usually get late-addition hops. That recipe would get you a hop-forward beer, whereas a Blonde is more malty or at most balanced. I'd drop the late-addition hops, or at least decrease it to 1/2-1 oz at most, if you want a little hop bite (out of character for a Blonde).

A Blonde doesn't usually get late-addition hops. That recipe would get you a hop-forward beer, whereas a Blonde is more malty or at most balanced. I'd drop the late-addition hops, or at least decrease it to 1/2-1 oz at most, if you want a little hop bite (out of character for a Blonde).
Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I will think about it. I got the recipe from Brewgr when I google searched 805 clone recipes. There were a few that were pretty much the same.

That's a lot of honey malt. I just made my house ale and increased the honey malt from 4 oz to 6 oz for 5 gal and it's almost carmely,hard to describe,but returning to 4 on the next batch. It might this way for me since this is a Kolsch with 17-20 IBU's that finishes at 1.011

Per the style guidelines a Blonde can have an IBU range of from 12-28. The OP’s recipe wouldn’t get close to the upper end of that range.

I usually have some version of a Blonde as my house beer. My typical recipe is 50% 2 row and 50% Pilsner. I’ve also brewed it with 90% 2 row and 10% white wheat. Usually 1/4 oz Magnum @60, 1/2 oz Cascade @30 and 10. That ends up at about .050 OG, 18 IBU, and 3.5 SRM, all well within the style guidelines.

Here’s my 805ish inspired blonde ale:
7.75 lbs pale 2-row
1 lb malted white wheat
.75 lbs orange blossom honey
.5 lbs caravienna

1.25 ozs willamette @ 60min
.75 ozs willamette @ flameout

White labs 007

It’s a tasty one

The idea of no late hop additions for a Blonde could be a little overstated. For instance the Russian River Aud Blonde has several hop whirlpool additions and two bitterness additions. For me it is always a balance of the amounts and malt types being used vs the hops and their properties etc. Would agree that in general a Blonde style is not a hoppy beer. But these days there are so many style overshoots that the meaning of 'style' is becoming less apparent.

Back