Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Bigbens6

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is the wrong forums for this.
My sister is getting married and asked if i would brew a beer fro their wedding just to have something special... her soon to be husband is the problem... his favorite beer is Pacifico... some times he can be seen with a corona.... thats not particularly interesting for me and i really do not wanna have to lager 20 gallons. So I decided to go with a blonde ale... seems like a good compromise...

So first question, in the list of beer style at the middle/bottom of the forum under what catagory would a blond ale fall exactly?

Second, anyone got a blonde recipie (partial mash prefferably though i can convert it) that would seemingly go well for a pacifico drinkers?

Golddiggie

Reaction score
It would be in the Light Hybrid Beer category...

Have you thought about making a cream ale?

Either way, you should be able to dig up plenty of recipes for both... We made a 10 gallon batch of a honey cream ale on 2/26 that was:

84.91% pale malt (UK 2 Row)
7.55% Carafoam
7.55% Honey Malt
12.2 IBU Target hops (60 min)
3.7 IBU Fuggles (20 min)
0.8 IBU EKG (5 min)
Yeast: Wyeast British Ale II (#1335)

Mashed at 152F for 90 minutes
Bitterness: 16.7 IBU
Color: 7.0 SRM

OG: 1.065
FG: TBD (estimated at 1.010-1.016)
Expect to be bottling it up pretty soon.

bbrim

Reaction score
Get yourself some Continental Pilsner malt and do a single malt beer. If you want it super dry add some simple sugar (corn sugar or table sugar). You'll want to shoot for 15-20IBU. A quality pilsner malt will have a soft subtle profile, well suited to Light Lager drinkers. You can add a late hop addition if desired but keep it small because it will come through more than in most beers. Any clean American Ale yeast will do, personally I prefer US-05. If you can find a high quality extract made from pilsner malt you could do a partial mash but I would worry about the freshness of extract in such a delicate beer.

OP
OP
B

Bigbens6

Reaction score
I have a TON of Pilsner DME, I do not want to make a pilsner, i want to make a quality blonde ale that wally can drink one or two of and enjoy himself....

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I have a TON of Pilsner DME, I do not want to make a pilsner, i want to make a quality blonde ale that wally can drink one or two of and enjoy himself....

LOOK in the "Light Hybrid Beer" category... There's Blonde recipes right on the first page...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/blonde-208008/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/bombshell-blonde-ale-26312/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/fat-dirty-blonde-honey-208664/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/tibers-sexy-blonde-ale-203362/

Personally, I have a dirty blonde recipe that's on deck, but it's not been brewed yet... Won't know how it will be until it's in the glass...

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
I have a simple recipe I used. I used a belgian style ale yeast, but this might have too much unfamiliar flavours.
It was lightly hopped

6lb Pilsner DME.
1 oz Hautaller pellets(6.1 %) at 60minutes
2 oz Saaz (3.1% AA) at 15 minutes.
Pitched Safbrew T-58 (This is the belgian tasting ale yeast -- spices, cloves etc..)

Bottled at 4 weeks. It is getting really good 4 weeks after bottling. The yeast does not sediment so well so when I pour it out of the bottle it is hard not to get some in the glass.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
The honey cream ale we made on 2/26 scaled to a 5 gallon batch size...

11# 4oz UK 2 Row
1# carafoam (optional)
1# honey malt
.375oz Target hops (10.50% AA) 60 min
.50oz Fuggles hops (4.00% AA) 20 min
.25oz EKG hops (5.00% AA) 5 min
1 Whirlfloc tablet
1 pkg Wyeast British Ale II yeast (#1335)

Estimated ABV: 6.69%

Assumes 75% mash efficiency

Ferment 3-4 weeks at 68-72F (all primary), then prime to 2.7 CO2 volumes, and bottle.

Could be a solid backup brew for the event... Give people two choices, a blonde or a honey cream... :D

jheist

Reaction score
I second Centennial Blonde. I have made it several times and just finished brewing it for a wedding shower that is coming up soon. Quick turnaround and tastes awesome!