Blonde Ale suggestions, I think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahilly

Reaction score
Hi all,
I would love some suggestions for my next batch. I want to end up with a pilsner style beer (such as Pilsner Urkel or Amstel or similar lightly hopped libation). I am not set up for lagering, so was thinking of doing a Blonde Ale crafted to end up like a pilsner (am I even on the right track here?). It also should be extract based since I am not set up for all grain. Can anyone suggest a recipe or kit that might work here? Thanks!

Just make sure you keep it pure pale, or pilsner extract. Though, you can add a little bit of light crystal malt if you want a little more malt complexity in your beer.

The next important ingredient is only using noble hops.

Thanks for the responses, both of these look great!!! - now I have some decision making to do!

KerryD, I read in your link a statement about freezing bottles before bottling. What is the benefit to this?

For what it's worth, here's my version,straight out of my recipe program.

Dotted Line Ale
---------------
Brewer: Joe Labeck
Style: Blonde Ale
Batch: 4.00 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.039 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 27 IBU
Recipe Color: 6° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.010
Alcohol by Volume: 3.8%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.0%

Ingredients
-----------
Light D.M.E. 1.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Light malt extract 3.00 lb, Extract, Extract

Crystal 1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Generic 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast,

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Trying for a clone of Ballantine Ale...not too bad, bit more hop character than the original.

Batch Notes:

I liked it,

Joe

If your looking for something closer to a pilsner i'd go with the Centennial Blonde

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

I decided to go with BierMuncher's extract version of KerryD's AG Centennial Blonde:

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I already got the ingredient at my LHBS. Two questions:

1. Both BierMuncher's and KerryD's recipe's use Cara-Pils grains, but KerryD's AG version also included Crystal 10L. I went ahead and bought 1 Lb. of each. What effect will adding 1 Lb. Crystal 10L to the above extract recipe have on the end result?

2. I got both Centennial and Cascade hops, but both only came in 2 oz. packs, where the recipe calls for 1 oz. of each. I'm reluctant to open both packs and only use half of each. What effect will using just Centennial or just Cascade have on the end result?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Centennial and Cascade are pretty similar hops, so it probably wouldn't make a huge difference. However, hops are quite storable, so just use what the recipe suggests and store the other half of the hops in an airtight bag/container and stick it in the freezer. If you have a food vacuum sealer, use that.

The crystal 10 will darken the color a bit, and up the OG lending a bit more maltiness to the final product, and a slight bump in the abv.

I would download the 21 day trial of beersmith and plug in the recipe and you can adjust the original recipe with your changes and see what it does to it.

Back