Blonde Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Like a fool, I went and made two batches that need considerable aging, while at the same time giving away all my existing homebrew. This is a blonde ale that I hope will be ready quickly, and enjoyable but not boring, especially with the unconventional addition of biscuit malt.

Code:
[B]Bernerbrau Blonde[/B]

1# Flaked Wheat
0.75# American two-row
0.5# CaraPils
0.25# Biscuit Malt

5# Briess Pilsen Light DME

1 oz. Fuggles @ 60
1 oz. Fuggles @ 15
1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15

Steep grains at 155F for 1 hour, sparge at 170F. Top up to boil volume (3 gallons) and add extract, with 3.5 gallons preboiled to achieve target volume of 5 gal.

Pitch 1pkg. Safale S-04 after rehydrating.

3 weeks fermentation. Add ~2tsp polyclar two days before bottling. Prime with 2/3c corn sugar. 2-3 weeks bottle aging.

SRM: 4
IBU: 21
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.2%

Any suggestions?

well, that is a TON of biscuit malt. i would probably cut that down to 1/4 lb.

you are doing this as a partial mash, correct? that'd get the best out of the biscuit.

+1. The biscuit malt is STRONG. I used 1/4# in a Belgian pale ale and it was overpowering everything else with nutty-biscuity-ness until it got some age on it.

Your recipe looks somewhat similar to YooperBrew's corn cream ale which I made six weeks ago. It has 1/2# of biscuit, which didn't come through quite as strong because I fermented it with the English ale yeast S-04. If I would have used US-05 it would probably not be on tap by now. When I do the corn cream ale over I will drop the biscuit down to 1/4#.

So, if I drop down to 1/4# biscuit, and switch to S-04 instead of US-05, it should come through nice and subtle? Should I make up for the gravity (~.001) in DME or more of the 2-row? Or just leave it as is?

I wouldn't worry about that 1 point adjustment. I agree with cutting the Biscuit back, it is quite assertive. Granted if this were a nutbrown with other mid Crystal malts it would be probably in the ballpark, but since this is a more 'delicate' flavor style it would certainly push itself up too much.

Gonna go buy the stuff for this tomorrow. Took the biscuit down by about three notches. Any last requests?

Any TENNESSEE brewers who want to taste and critique when it's done? In exchange for me offering the same service, of course ;)

Back