Blog at Otherwise Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are great articles! Thanks for sharing.
I think we had already dispelled at least 4 of the myths in recent years even if we didn't know the science behind it. We have come to realize that the gelatinization temperature of our grains is so high that we denature the enzymes we have so use two enzymes to get what we need. I think most of us know we are using more enzyme than needed, but are just worried about having issues so we put in more in an abundance of caution. I have recently come to realize that sticking to a specific ratio of grain to water in the mash is not as important when you are adding your own enzymes and probably using more than needed. This gives a lot more freedom to change temperatures with infusions not worrying about starting too stiff or ending up too thin. The article talks about getting a kettle yield of 22-27 PPG, and I have been solidly in that range for the past few years after starting to use Termamyl. Good discussion on alpha and beta amylase! That was always very confusing to me! It is nice to see this type of knowledge sharing, especially from those that are doing this on a commercial level!

Yes, clearing up the alpha/beta amylase talk was great to finally see, it was always a little murky. Looking forward to more research from these guys.

Back