Block 15 - Corvallis, OR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
So new they haven't even officially opened. I was down there Monday (3/3) for lunch. Had a sampler consisting of a Pale, a Golden, a Red, a "freestyle" and an oatmeal stout. I didn't try the IPA or their Belgian. The Nebula stout is easily the best of the bunch. The brewmaster, Steve van Rossem, won a Gold at GABF with a stout in 2002 and it really shows. The stout is dark, rich and smooth with plenty of chocolate and caramel. Had a pint with the Carolina-style BBQ pulled pork. The pork was tasty, though a bit dry. I was tempted to drizzle a bit of the stout on it, but opted for some of the blue cheese dressing instead.

Judging from hop profiles of the Aboriginale: Free-style Ale and the Print Masters Pale, the Alpha IPA should be a hop head's delight.

Considering it was only their fifth day of operation, I'd say they will be a major success.

why dont places like this open in my area. all there are are gimmicky "brew pubs" with mediocre food

Aboriginale: Free-style Ale. This is what Block 15 is all about, truly unique unclassified beers in addtion to our standard taps. We used seven different malts, and three different hops when brewing this beer. Currently we are dry-hopping in a conditioning tanks with two more types of hops.

Bit of a shocker, this is the first brewpub in Corvallis! The closest thing until now was Dave Wills (freshops) brewing as Oregon Trails next to the Olde World Deli and they serve his beer. There is also a McMenamins down there, but no brewery. I think Corvallis was the largest city in Oregon to NOT have a brewpub.

How can an Oregon city not have a brewpub? I thought that was written into the Oregon Constitution!

Ah, here it is:
Article VXI, section b: (section A refers to the stripclub clause) Yea verily, Under our State Union there shall be a Place for pubfic imbibing for the populafe no less than one (1) public house per 5000 households and landowners.

There are no strip clubs in Corvallis either. Being a university town, the town fathers (and muthers) don't want to corrupt the youth. At least, not publicly.:p

Back