blizzard suck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my grill is on my back porch against the house, and the drifts built up so high its over my weber. no grilling for me for awhile :(

i did make a tunnel for my little girl, it was her princess castle for awhile.

I AM PEESED!! Three days ago, I'm wearing shorts giggling at the schmucks dealing with the snow. The last 2 days have been farkin' freezing. It's 18F - 20F today. The pipes in my shop are drained, but that means I can't even go and brew. I've just been sitting around the house. I HATE COLD WEATHER. This is the Texas Hill Country for Christ's sake. I can deal with the spiders, snakes, scorpions and 110F summer days, but I draw the line at cold weather. To top it off, my cedar allergies are killing me.

Yoop, did you bring this stuff down with you?

my grill is on my back porch against the house, and the drifts built up so high its over my weber. no grilling for me for awhile :(

i did make a tunnel for my little girl, it was her princess castle for awhile.

no excuses. dig it out. I did :fro:

I AM PEESED!! Three days ago, I'm wearing shorts giggling at the schmucks dealing with the snow. The last 2 days have been farkin' freezing. It's 18F - 20F today. The pipes in my shop are drained, but that means I can't even go and brew. I've just been sitting around the house. I HATE COLD WEATHER.

ya know what I dont get? we have this thing up north called INSULATION. When it's cold it helps keep ya warm, when it's warm it helps keep ya cool . . . You guys down there ever hear of it?
If ever move down there (it is a possibility) I'm insulating the ever living hell out of my place just to stay out of the heat (that and because I'm cheep)

**EDIT**
BTW I know you guys arent real big in the furnace departments down there But I'd be baking my ass off. Dont use the oven to directly keep the house warm BUT if ya happen to be making a **** ton of cakes, bread, potatoes, bricks to strategically place, w/e . . . ya know what I'm saying :p

ya know what I dont get? we have this thing up north called INSULATION. When it's cold it helps keep ya warm, when it's warm it helps keep ya cool . . . You guys down there ever hear of it?
If ever move down there (it is a possibility) I'm insulating the ever living hell out of my place just to stay out of the heat (that and because I'm cheep)

My "house" (have a small cabin, we're in the process of building a house) is fine and all my pipes are insulated. My cabin is 2X6 walls and insulated out the wazoo. Literally heating and cooling cost nothing. The shop has the thin isulation that comes with the Mueller buildings. The pipes are insulated, but since all I do is piddle around in there, I only heat it with a shop heater while I'm in there. I can't justify heating it all of the time so I just whine about it being cold. By the way, did I mention that:
I HATE COLD WEATHER (sniff, sniff)

Oh, good! I was worried that you wouldn't be able to grill today. :D

As soon as it gets warmer here, we'll be getting out the charcoal. I'm wearing long johns at the moment (but they are summer weight) so today I'm roasting a chicken in the oven to help provide some heat!

Summer weight long johns?

Says something about your summers.

I'm about an hour northwest of Chicago, just about 25 miles east of Rockford, Illinois. The authorities were still encouraging people to stay home today. All the schools in the area are closed today, along with many businesses. I spent about four hours clearing my driveway and sidewalks yesterday. We got at least twenty inches, but the winds were horrible. Tuesday night, we could NOT keep our added-on family room warm, even with a blazing fire in the fireplace! Today, I got suited up and went out to clear the snow from the fire hydrant in front of my house. Then, I brought a couple of big bags of firewood in, and said that's it!

What is interesting is the fact that I, personally, have survived all THREE of Chicago's biggest snowstorms! Number 1 was January 1967, and I was a college student in a near western suburb. Number 2 was right after New Years 1999, and we were living here in Marengo. And Number 3 was the day before yesterday! The final analysis? RDWHAHB!

glenn514:mug:

Summer weight long johns?

Says something about your summers.

You know how those old retired people get chilly anytime it's below 80 :D

Well, Pumbaa is just jealous that I'm retired and he's not! :D

But yes, I admit it. I have summer weight long johns. We have GREAT summers in the UP. If summer falls on a Saturday, we have a picnic.

But yes, I admit it. I have summer weight long johns. We have GREAT summers in the UP. If summer falls on a Saturday, we have a picnic.

See that's why Wisconsin is so much better than the UP. We have TWO days of summer, not just one. And if it falls on a weekend, we go camping, not just have a picnic. Nyah.

My "house" (have a small cabin, we're in the process of building a house) is fine and all my pipes are insulated. My cabin is 2X6 walls and insulated out the wazoo. Literally heating and cooling cost nothing. The shop has the thin isulation that comes with the Mueller buildings. The pipes are insulated, but since all I do is piddle around in there, I only heat it with a shop heater while I'm in there.

Why do I get the feeling you are the exception, rather than the rule????

What is interesting is the fact that I, personally, have survived all THREE of Chicago's biggest snowstorms! Number 1 was January 1967, and I was a college student in a near western suburb. Number 2 was right after New Years 1999, and we were living here in Marengo. And Number 3 was the day before yesterday! The final analysis? RDWHAHB!

It only took me the first two of those storms to learn. In '67 I was home form college in the western suburbs. In '99 I was living/working in the same area. That's all it took to teach me that Winter Happens! Therefore I moved a few hundred miles southeast to avoid the problem.

Unfortunately, my plan didn't work very well, last year we had 3 storms over 15" within three weeks and ended up with 50" of snow in the yard. Had 12" last week but now can see the grass.:ban:

We got some snow, it's mostly melted now, and the City has come to a standstill.

my snowbanks are taller than my children.

driveway salt isn't melting the ice and leftover snow on my driveway.

Work is closed today do to the weather we are having in Houston. The keg supply shop in town is not open and I need to get another corny and dual faucet tower and some other odds and ends. Damn this weather!!

my snowbanks are taller than my children.

driveway salt isn't melting the ice and leftover snow on my driveway.

ROFL just wait until the end of next week. They are talking HIGHS of about zero, above zero if we are lucky for about a week. I just hope I can get the slush out of the end of my driveway from the broken water main b4 that hits.

You guys are getting freak storms, we're getting freaky blue condoms (Man of Wars) on the beach.

manofwarbeach.jpg

Is now a bad time to point out that it's been in the mid 60s and sunny for the past three weeks here in Northern California?

(Nah, kidding - we had 1/10th of an inch of rain a fortnight ago)

*runs for cover*

Today, on our customary Saturday trip to Starbuck's on the Square in Woodstock, Illinois [where "Groundhog Day" was filmed], we were amazed at the HUGE piles of snow especially on east/west roads. The howling wind of Tuesday night really piled up the drifts!

Today, on our customary Saturday trip to Starbuck's on the Square in Woodstock, Illinois [where "Groundhog Day" was filmed], we were amazed at the HUGE piles of snow especially on east/west roads. The howling wind of Tuesday night really piled up the drifts!

Kind of ironic since the blizzard was on Groundhogs Day

Back