Blichmann Thrumometer and high temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
Does anyone out there use the thrumometer? I see that it can't withstand temps above 140F.

I bought one and intend to use it along with my plate chiller. However, I usually pump some boiling wort through my hoses and chiller to sanitize everything for the last 5 minutes or so of my boil. Do you guys just swap it in once you chill down to 140F? How is this thing helpful if it can't withstand high temps?

Seems like a PITA to me.

I gravity feed through my plate chiller so I sanitize everything in a bucket full of Starsan mix during the boil. Therefore, my Thrumometer never sees temps anywhere near 140.

Interested to see what others do since I plan to upgrade to a pump in the near future.

I use one and starsan all but i usually run boiling wort through all for about 30 sec. With my pump prior to turning on water. Never had a problem. Its just a piece of aluminum with a fish tank temp strip on it. Nothing is going to happen to it.

I use one and starsan all but i usually run boiling wort through all for about 30 sec. With my pump prior to turning on water. Never had a problem. Its just a piece of aluminum with a fish tank temp strip on it. Nothing is going to happen to it.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if high temps would ruin the temp strip or if its just inaccurate at high temps.

It's definitely not accurate over 80. I can't see why it would "fail". As stated, it's just a block of aluminum. Worst I could see if the temp strip coming unstuck from the aluminum block. I only use mine to actually measure fish tank water temp on my tank top off system.

Back