Blichmann Floor Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticBear

Reaction score
I previously had a thread trying to decide which burner to buy after my el cheapo gifto freebie junky turkey fryer burner kicked its last keg. Since my birthday and christmas are coming up, the rents decided to fund the purchase of a new Blichmann burner...i was a bit skeptical on it due to price, and did have an issue tonight with my propane tank being too cold in the beginning (5 minutes in a tub with hot water and it was fine for the rest of the night) but let me say one thing about this beaut...

My average time previously with my other burner for my AG brewing, given the most flawless brew day was around 5.5ish hours...5 if it was a small beer and everything was on point...

Well i started heating my strike water tonight at 6pm and was doughed in by 6:15. I mashed for an hour, batch sparged and ran a 60 minute boil... I was washing my kettle by 9:45-10pm. I use a plate chiller and had my kettle open full bore and had to slow my hose water because it was coming out from a full boil to under 58*. (i also use a blichmann therminator)

This was my fastest brew day by far and the only changed variable is the blichmann burner...even if its a little heavy of LP consumption (which i wont know for another batch or two), it was well worth every penny...

Heres my $0.02, take it or leave it...im hardly a fanboy but they make good products. They are certainly expensive but apparently its for a reason....

I love both my Blichmann burners. I put the longer legs on one, so that I can more easily run the chilled wort into the fermenter. I'm looking forward to my coming brew day where I'll be brewing in the basement (getting a sink installed as well as setting up an exhaust hood, with high flow fan, through one of the windows in the basement, maybe 3' away).

I've found, in the summer time, I can use far less propane with the Blichmann burners that I did with my KAB4. Plus the housing on the burner does a great job of supporting keggles, letting you center them without much effort time and again. Also, if I'm not fighting strong winds (happened with the last two brew days) things go much smoother. Which is another reason I'm moving inside. :D

I actually had the 5.5 gallon stout i brewed tonight boil over a 15.5 gallon keggle because it went to a boil so fast there was nowhere for the hot break to dissipate to... comical, with a friend with the mash paddle and a garden hose (he didnt know it was turned off) and me sprinting to grab the bull semen....err i mean fermcap s. didnt quite get any in the keggle in time before it boiled over some...we didnt care, i RDWHAHB and kept going... Super stoked about how tonight turned out

I think you had the propane cranked up really high there. I don't go that high, since it seems to waste propane. Plus, I don't like to have the metal of the burner frame (or the keggle) glowing cherry red. :eek:

I usually have the fermcap on standy IF I'm going to be close to the top of the keggle. Typically, if I have over 12 gallons going in, I have it on hand. Otherwise, I don't need it. :D

We had it set to where the flame was high enough right before it started licking over the sides of either the HLT or the brew keggle...the pot support stands had a bright red on them after a few minutes, but it was also a beautiful big blue flame so i can imagine it was hot... I wasnt going for propane efficiency last night, it was the first time running it and we wanted to see what it could do. Needless to say im happy about it

We had it set to where the flame was high enough right before it started licking over the sides of either the HLT or the brew keggle...the pot support stands had a bright red on them after a few minutes, but it was also a beautiful big blue flame so i can imagine it was hot... I wasnt going for propane efficiency last night, it was the first time running it and we wanted to see what it could do. Needless to say im happy about it

I don't run mine that high. I don't like seeing the stand get that red/hot nor have the flames that high. Plus, with keggles, I have the bottom skirt helping to direct/contain the heat. :D

I brewed my first batch on my shiny new Blichmann Floor Burner this weekend. I have to say that it kicked some serious wort boiling booty! I had to dial it back to keep the wort in my kettle! That's one bad mamma jamma burner!

Cant wait to use it with my new kettle from Spike Brewing when it arrives!!

Mine shipped from Midwest Supplies without all the parts.

(nuts and bolts, spring, air dampner screw and orifice fitting)

Midwest's "live chat" eventually got back to me with the following:

"Since this item is kept and shipped from Blichmann, we are going to have to create a claim through them to get you your replacement parts. It may take a little time, but we can get them for you."

Ugh

I have been searching the forum to see if this is a common problem with Blichmann quality control but apparently I'm just the lucky one.

I even tried to post on the Blichmann set up video on youtube but it does not allow commentary.

"Since this item is kept and shipped from Blichmann, we are going to have to create a claim through them to get you your replacement parts. It may take a little time, but we can get them for you."

Ugh

I have been searching the forum to see if this is a common problem with Blichmann quality control but apparently I'm just the lucky one.

I even tried to post on the Blichmann set up video on youtube but it does not allow commentary.

Just reach out to Blichmann (via the web site) and tell him what happened... Chances are, the missing parts will be shipped to you without issue. I've had solid results when communicating with them...

Just reach out to Blichmann (via the web site) and tell him what happened... Chances are, the missing parts will be shipped to you without issue. I've had solid results when communicating with them...

Thanks for the tip... I'm at an office computer and the link you posted does not work properly. Apparently there are sections blocked.

I did look there initially but thought it just wasn't possible.

I'll be sure to check again from my un-blocked computer at home.

Looks like I'm a happy camper again...

Just got this from Midwest and thought it was only fair to them to post it...

"Hey Steven,

Thank you for contacting us.

Rather than trying to make sure we have the parts you're missing, I'm just going to do a full return. So we'll be shipping out a new Floor Standing Burner for you today, with a return label to send the other one back. You should see that shipment either this Saturday, or early next week.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Cheers,

Dan H"

I'll be sure to post again if they expect me to pay for return shipping! ;)

Love my Blich burner, but also love the sturdy sight gauge on the pot. Can't wait to replace my 2 other turkey fryers with Blich pots / burners.

Big ups to midwest. When i ordered my boilermaker it was missing the mounting hardware for the brewmometer (again another product that ships from Blichmann directly). I contacted Mdwest to let them know and they apologized and sent me the proper hardware needed (even sent me the SS hole plug to plug the hole in case i didnt want to use the brewmometer) great people and great service

Ugh

When I picked up my stand, the store owner that sold it to me advised that I be prepared for a trip to the hardware store. He said that the weight of the burners tends to rip holes in the cardboard and small items can get lost in shipping very often.

Lucky for me, not a nut or bolt was missing.

The damper is a bit big to be falling out of a hole in a box, so I would guess yours was a QC issue not a shipping issue?

The damper is a bit big to be falling out of a hole in a box, so I would guess yours was a QC issue not a shipping issue?

Yes.

A matter of quality control.

There were no holes in the box or anything strange.

Just missing parts.

While the "live chat" feature is by no means live, I'm pleased that Midwest is taking care of the problem.

Yes.

A matter of quality control.

There were no holes in the box or anything strange.

Just missing parts.

While the "live chat" feature is by no means live, I'm pleased that Midwest is taking care of the problem.

Sorry if we missed you on Live Chat. It should be actually live during normal business hours. Otherwise it will redirect you to our customer service email. We tried to get our CS team to stay overnight to answer chats, but they seemed to have objections to that...

Glad to hear Dan took care of you. I will make sure his boss buys him a beer.

Cheers,

Nick @ Midwest

Sorry if we missed you on Live Chat. It should be actually live during normal business hours. Otherwise it will redirect you to our customer service email. We tried to get our CS team to stay overnight to answer chats, but they seemed to have objections to that...

Glad to hear Dan took care of you. I will make sure his boss buys him a beer.

Cheers,

Nick @ Midwest

Are you suggesting I did it wrong!? :)

My initial attempts at live chat were sent at 8:07 AM. I guess that is a little early for some. :eek:

Thank you for taking care of me.

Good stuff.

Are you suggesting I did it wrong!? :)

My initial attempts at live chat were sent at 8:07 AM. I guess that is a little early for some. :eek:

Thank you for taking care of me.

Good stuff.

I am not suggesting that at all. The CS guys get in here a little after 8, so that is probably why we missed you.

Enjoy the new burner! :rockin:

Legdog said:
Looks like I'm a happy camper again...

Just got this from Midwest and thought it was only fair to them to post it...

"Hey Steven,

Thank you for contacting us.

Rather than trying to make sure we have the parts you're missing, I'm just going to do a full return. So we'll be shipping out a new Floor Standing Burner for you today, with a return label to send the other one back. You should see that shipment either this Saturday, or early next week.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Cheers,

Dan H"

I'll be sure to post again if they expect me to pay for return shipping! ;)

Now that's the right response!!!

Can anyone explain why the shipping from the several online vendors are all different if the Blichmann product ships from the manufacturer? It seems the price is fixed but I've seen shipping from $17 to almost $30.

I just ordered mine this morning. Stepping up to 10 gallon batches in a Keggle. Super excited!!

Now I need to figure out how to get the keggle full of wort onto the 24" high burner! I don't have a sculpture.

Now I need to figure out how to get the keggle full of wort onto the 24" high burner! I don't have a sculpture.

Ten gallon batches are harder but you could always drain into buckets and then pour inter to kettle instead of direct drain. That way you could already have the kettle in position before its full...or stack some stuff and raise your tun

Ten gallon batches are harder but you could always drain into buckets and then pour inter to kettle instead of direct drain. That way you could already have the kettle in position before its full...or stack some stuff and raise your tun

That's what I was thinking. Not ideal but better than lifting 100 lb keggle.

A couple of sawhorses???

HighMashTun.jpg

Back