Blichmann Burner heat time - Am I doing it wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_cad

Reaction score
I have two of the blichmann burners and have been dissappointed with the time it takes to heat up water. I brewed on big brew day and it took well over and hour and a half to get to boil. I thought it might be that burner and regulator so when I got home I fired up my other one and the performance was not much better. I followed the directions on the youtube video by blichmann and I was still not happy. Here are some of my test numbers:
6.5 gallons in keggle

First Burner:
start at 64.5 degrees
10 minutes: 80.5
20 minutes: 97.5

Second Burner:
start at 102.5 degrees
5 minutes: 108
10 minutes: 115
20 minutes: 129

Second Burner with different propane tank:
start at 130.5 degrees
5 min 138
10 min 146
15 min 154
20 min 164

So as you can see 1 hour into it and I was at 164. The following day I tried again with the air damper all the way open and the flame was small bright blue cones. I went from 65 to 109 in 15 minutes. If I tried to turn it up any more it seemed less efficient. So it seems there is very little adjustment. Is this typical for those who have this burner with keggles?

I just use a cheap burner from fleet farm that boils way quicker. Something must be wrong.

Random question. Do you know a Mr Seago from TXDOT?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There is something wrong. Mine will bring 8 gallons from out of the hose cold to a boil in under 45 minutes. I wonder if you may have gotten a bad batch of propane.

There is something wrong. Mine will bring 8 gallons from out of the hose cold to a boil in under 45 minutes. I wonder if you may have gotten a bad batch of propane.

I have used different bottles with the same results. What are the chances both burners have bad regulators?

Sans is your air damper all the way open to get the right flame?

Is that with a keggle or a flat bottom pot?

I use a flat bottomed kettle, not a keggle. I usually have the air damper open ~75% when running at full power.

I see you are using a keggle. Are there any ventilation openings between the domed bottom of the keggle and the vertical supports? If not I could imagine that a boundary layer is preventing full heat transfer to the keggle, but I am getting out of my wheelhouse here.

I have two of the blichmann burners and have been dissappointed with the time it takes to heat up water. I brewed on big brew day and it took well over and hour and a half to get to boil. I thought it might be that burner and regulator so when I got home I fired up my other one and the performance was not much better. I followed the directions on the youtube video by blichmann and I was still not happy. Here are some of my test numbers:

6.5 gallons in keggle

First Burner:

start at 64.5 degrees

10 minutes: 80.5

20 minutes: 97.5

Second Burner:

start at 102.5 degrees

5 minutes: 108

10 minutes: 115

20 minutes: 129

Second Burner with different propane tank:

start at 130.5 degrees

5 min 138

10 min 146

15 min 154

20 min 164

So as you can see 1 hour into it and I was at 164. The following day I tried again with the air damper all the way open and the flame was small bright blue cones. I went from 65 to 109 in 15 minutes. If I tried to turn it up any more it seemed less efficient. So it seems there is very little adjustment. Is this typical for those who have this burner with keggles?

Definitely something is wrong w/ your setup. Mine takes 7-8 gallons from tap to mash in in 15/20 minutes. Once I've finished sparging I'm at a boil w / 7+ ghazal in under 15 min. & controlling the boil is a POC.
Have you checked the shutter on the Venturi & your gas regulator to insure proper flow & pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a flat bottomed kettle, not a keggle. I usually have the air damper open ~75% when running at full power.

I see you are using a keggle. Are there any ventilation openings between the domed bottom of the keggle and the vertical supports? If not I could imagine that a boundary layer is preventing full heat transfer to the keggle, but I am getting out of my wheelhouse here.

Running a test now with a flat bottom kettle to see if there is a difference. Same amount of water.

Just ran a test with 4.5 gallons of water in a 7 gallon flat bottom kettle and went from 75 degrees to 168 in 30 minutes.

That is still way slower than the chart on the blichmann website shows. They take 6.5 gallons to boil in about 25 minutes.

Are you by chance using one of those cheap tank level gauges?
I had similar issues with my bayou bg14. Maybe both gauges I tried were defective but I threw them away and get satisfactory results every time now.

Blichmann has some good videos on "how to tune the flame." If those aren't helping you could post a picture or two of your flame and see if some experienced Blichmann users can help diagnose.

Just a thought.

Blichmann has some good videos on "how to tune the flame." If those aren't helping you could post a picture or two of your flame and see if some experienced Blichmann users can help diagnose.

Just a thought.

I have watched the videos multiple times and do exactly what they show with not much difference in performance. It seems to perform best when the venturi is wide open which gives me no room for adjustment. I don't know if this is normal.

This is a long shot, but you may push a wire through each hole just to make sure there isn't any sand that got stuck during casting. That's usually not a problem with Blichmann burners but its something to try.

Email Blichmann through the website for help. I've had continued problems with my burner (not the same problem as you). They are quick to respond.

Back