Blichmann BrewEasy vs Spike solo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bago-0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking of getting the BrewEasy 240V 5gal however I don't understand the difference between a system like this with pots stacked vs the systems like Spike solo, Unibrau and upcoming SS Brewtech where the Mash pot is lowered inside the boil kettle then raised out for boil. Are they not all full volume mash with re circulation? Any benefit to one over the other?

They are all quite similar IMO.
Also look into Brew-Boss (what I ended up with), Clawhammer and High Gravity Brewing for the 220/240 eBIAB systems.

Brew-Boss looks nice too. From what I have been reading seems like you probably get same efficiency whether you use just a Bag in a eKettle, a mesh basket, a bottom draining basket (unibrau, Spike) or a Blichmann BrewEasy. Not sure if clarity is better with one vs the other.

2 vessel electric kettle RIMS is not an ideal design in my opinion. Why dirty two pots when one does just fine?

The Spike solo is not the first time someone thought to mash in the kettle. Its just one of the most expensive versions. Electric brew in a bag is pretty straight forward and a treat to brew on.

Brew-Boss looks nice too. From what I have been reading seems like you probably get same efficiency whether you use just a Bag in a eKettle, a mesh basket, a bottom draining basket (unibrau, Spike) or a Blichmann BrewEasy. Not sure if clarity is better with one vs the other.
It's all about dialing in your system. I get ~80% efficiency, but even if I got 75% and was consistent I would be happy. For clarity I can make a brilliantly clear beer with my eBIAB, not necessarily right out of the fermenter though. If I want a clear beer, whirlfloc in the boil, cold crash at the end of fermentation and gelatin in the keg. Works great for me.

Latest posts

Back