Blichmann 30 Gallon Boil Kettle on Natural Gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaspence

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading to a 30 gallon Blichmann as boil kettle and also making the conversion to natural gas on the top tier. Has anyone else brewed with this size kettle using natural gas? I have all the pieces to make the switch to NG, and am looking at doing 15 gallon batches max, just started wondering if anyone has had experience with system like this. Trying to decide on getting another 20 gallon kettle or upgrade to 30 for the option of larger batches. Thank for any help.

I went from their 20G boiler to the 30G. I use NG with their burner. The 30G heats to boiling the same volume and temp of wort faster than the 20. The flame stays under the 30 allowing the burner to run full bore. The flame climbs the sides of the 20 at full bore. I run 7.5" WC. I hate the cheezy piece of stainless that comes with the kettle, to protect the valve from heat. I had stainless shields made that screw to the kettle guides on the legs on each side of the burner inlet. I had them made deeper than the piece of crappy stainless flashing Blichmann sends out. The shield comes out 3" past the end of the Blichmann valve at the same angle of the legs, protecting from heat the ball valves I installed. You'd think that Blichmann could come up with something better than a piece of 50 cent stainless sheeting that warps when heated. Other than that, I am completely satisfied with their equipment.

Glad to hear that Vlad, going to order one up now, thank you so much for your response. I am in the process of running a new gas line to my garage to accommodate the NG conversion. Do you have any pics you can send of your setup? Pictures are always so nice being able to visualize setups. I am very interested in your shield design. Thanks again and cheers

Back