Blichmann 14.5 conical gasket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumer0

Reaction score
Hi,

Getting back into brewing after a 7yr hiatus. I replaced the aged gaskets on my corny kegs and think it's about time to do the same on my aforementioned conical. For the big gasket that goes between the conical part and the top, I am only finding gaskets that cost $30+. Is this for real?! Is there some secret store where these things are not insanely priced?

Thanks!

Hi,

Getting back into brewing after a 7yr hiatus. I replaced the aged gaskets on my corny kegs and think it's about time to do the same on my aforementioned conical. For the big gasket that goes between the conical part and the top, I am only finding gaskets that cost $30+. Is this for real?! Is there some secret store where these things are not insanely priced?

Thanks!
They should be 100% silicone unlike the rubber compound ones used on the corny so unless physically damaged somehow they normally dont deteriorate due to age, at least not just sitting for 7-10 years. But if you do need to change them your limited to blichmann prices in most cases as they intentionally make most fittings and gaskets proprietary for this very reason. Many would argue that a blichmann conical with weldless fittings is insanely priced to begin with compared to just about everything else on the market..

I’ll see your insanely priced Blichmann gasket for $30 and raise you you a Blichmann insanely priced $24 cable...
At least you got 7 years out of your insanely priced gasket...I get about 1yr out of this piece of crap, overpriced cable.....

D41EFC87-7D82-48B3-A2FD-160275544888.jpeg

I’ll see your insanely priced Blichmann gasket for $30 and raise you you a Blichmann insanely priced $24 cable...
At least you got 7 years out of your insanely priced gasket...I get about 1yr out of this piece of crap, overpriced cable.....

View attachment 662894
That is piece of high temp 10-12 awg wire with two female spade connectors on each end... your looking at maybe $10 in components from any hardware or auto store there (if it is a high temp rated wire)... Its should not have failed in the first place. Maybe try stovewire if the heat damaged it in your setup.

That is piece of high temp 10-12 awg wire with two female spade connectors on each end... your looking at maybe $10 in components from any hardware or auto store there (if it is a high temp rated wire)... Its should not have failed in the first place. Maybe try stovewire if the heat damaged it in your setup.
Thanks...the real kick in the pants is that the cable did not fail because of heat or anything. The spade connectors and heat shrink wrap came off.
For what they charge I should be able to tow a car with it

Thanks...the real kick in the pants is that the cable did not fail because of heat or anything. The spade connectors and heat shrink wrap came off.
For what they charge I should be able to tow a car with it
That is an easy fix though at least...some new connectors and a good crimper... if you know someone with a soldering iron that would even be better. a replacement from blichmann will likely not hold up any better to being tugged on and fail again. some hardware stores might even crimp them on for you..

for what its worth a company called "toledo metal spinning" makes the blichmann conical tanks.. not sure if you can get seals from them.

Spike used to use this same manufacturer on their conicals before switching to an overseas manufacturer to bring costs down.

That is an easy fix though at least...some new connectors and a good crimper... if you know someone with a soldering iron that would even be better. a replacement from blichmann will likely not hold up any better to being tugged on and fail again. some hardware stores might even crimp them on for you..

..but if I fixed it I wouldn’t be able to whine incessantly on a social media outlet about some petty problem I am having.

Work with me here...

Back