Blichman false bottom for boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
Does anyone use the blichman false bottom with the boil kettle? Right now, I have a 15 gallon boilermaker, with no false bottom. I bought a recirculating wort chiller with the hops of getting both a faster chill and a nice hop/trub cone that is left in the pot, but I am not having any luck with the cone.. I am getting all the trub and hops into my fermentor.

So, I was considering the false bottom to help out with keeping the the break material in the kettle. It looks like it might work nice, just wondering if anyone uses one for the boil and if it works well.

Thanks for any feedback
:mug:

I would contact Blichmann Engineering, but I think they specifically say not to boil with the false bottom, that it will trap super heated liquid that rises much slower through the small slots in the false bottom.

You could instead put a metal scrubbee around your dip tube.

The convection in the brew pot is important, you won't get it with the Blich style false bottom. It'll build up bubbles under the bottom, then rattle around when they "break" through.

I don't have much luck with whirlpooling, I just let it sit for an extended time and clear while covered after chilling.

Back