Blew up bottle dipping in wax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
I purchased this no chip wax from www.etchedimages.com to wax 20 of my imperial stout bottles that I plan on agin. I heated up the wax using a tin soup can on a cast iron skillet over a gas stove. The first 6 bottles went very well. The next bottle I put into the can exploded on me. About half way up the neck the bottle had a very clean break. Sucks because it ruined 1 of my precious bottles and about $7 worth of wax. Any ideas what could have happened. Im thinking either the bottle was cheap and not thick or the wax continued to heat up and eventually got to hot. Also I guess I could have left in in the wax to long. Anyone have this happen to them. I think I will pick up a Fry Daddy Junior for electric heat and temp control. The wax looks very good....polished shine look and very thick....I highly recommend the wax from etchedimages if you want to do a special bottle. Also they do etched artwork on bottles and only a minimum quantity of 24.

This could be totally off but it sounds similar to that YouTube video where they wrap a string on the bottle, light it, then dunk it in ice. Clean break where the heat was. I'm guessing the bottle got too hot in that one place and wasn't strong enough.

you over heated the wax.

next time use the same setup but put water in the skillet as a makeshift double boiler, sealing wax is low melt point, keep it 150-190f

Actually I found out this isn't wax but polyurethane (plastic). Has to heat up to 380 degrees according to instructions.

Try this next time. I've done it several times and haven't had a problem. And the wax/crayon combo holds up like a champ.

Plus, it's cheaper than $7 a batch, especially around back to school time. I just picked up 12 boxes of 24 Crayolas for less than $6.

Try this next time. I've done it several times and haven't had a problem. And the wax/crayon combo holds up like a champ.

Plus, it's cheaper than $7 a batch, especially around back to school time. I just picked up 12 boxes of 24 Crayolas for less than $6.

Thank you! I will be doing this with a batch of Bourbon Oak aged Winter Warmer that is fermenting.

You should also try to check out the thread about hot glue and crayons as a subsititute for bottling wax. I've tried it myself and it works out nice! It's much cheaper than $7.00 per batch too. If I were to guess, I would say that bottle was weak from the beginning. It may have broken when popping the top! Be thankful that it didn't slice the palm.

You should also try to check out the thread about hot glue and crayons as a subsititute for bottling wax. I've tried it myself and it works out nice! It's much cheaper than $7.00 per batch too. If I were to guess, I would say that bottle was weak from the beginning. It may have broken when popping the top! Be thankful that it didn't slice the palm.

Much like the link that was posted above?

And Indy, no problem! Hate to see ya slice up your hands/fingers! :mug:

Thanks for the crayon post. Actually my cost to do 50 bottles with the "wax" I was purchasing would be closer to $20 shipped. I like how the crayon method seems to produce a nice shine in the finished product which is really what I was going for. The only difference will probably be that the crayon method can chip scratch when the stuff i'm using is hard as plastic and will not chip or scratch easy. Heading to target this afternoon to get some crayons and glue. Thanks again.

I purchased a fry daddy jr (electric fryer). It keeps the temp just where I need it and heats up fast. The plastic worked and I was able to finish my bottles. I am now convinced that the issue was the wax was to hot....it was actually bubbling last time. This caused thermal shock and shattered the bottle. I will post pictures soon.

Back