Blew my wad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I just blew my wad on a new set of wheels for my VROD... absolutely didn't need too, but spring is in the air and my biggest complaint with my bike was the solid wheels. You'd get out on the interstate and the wind would push you all over the road.

I'm not going to admit to how much I spent. Instead I'll just say that everything is original Harley parts which should put it into perspective. Hell, even today when I thought I had everything worked out I got three calls from the dealership which went something like this:

HD: "Hey man, the steel bolts that came with these wheels don't look very good... do you want to upgrade to chrome bolts?"

Me: "Sure, I'm made of money."

Anyway, here are some quick pics of it before I put it up for the night. I'll be giving it a thorough cleaning / polishing this weekend... it may not look it in the photos, but it really needs it.

harley1.jpg

harley2.jpg

I believe i watched a HD tv show about this bike and how it was designed and came to be (a motorcycle with a radiator, so cool). I WANT ONE. you are very lucky, shes a beaut

Sweet ride. Had her to the drag strip yet (Reynolds, GA, maybe nearby...)? Looks great, I was just looking at some new Harley prices in a magazine earlier today. Not as bad as I thought for some of them.

IMHO, those wheels are a huge improvement over the stock solid, never liked those.

Looks really good.

Yes, the VROD has a water-cooler engine. I've got 12,500+ miles one it so far with no problems...

I actually live about 15 miles from this drag strip: http://www.sgmpracing.com although I've never raced it. Lets just say without the windshield I can hang with any sport bike I've come up against. No this isn't a challenge... I know there are plenty faster and more nimble, but my bike's handling still amazes me.

Crotch rockets have actually had radiators since the mid-80's. It's just new to the cruiser market. I'm still not sure it would be the wave of the future if it weren't for emissions laws coming into effect in 08(?). It's hard for an aircooled engine to pass the standards. That's why no cars have them anymore.

The wheels look sharp, but that bike's really begging for a powder-coated frame, imo. Man.. a black frame on that would look sweet. I think I saw one like that...

Speaking of motorcycles, do you know of a good forum? Especially one focused on repair?

I am slowly restoring a 1986 Yamaha, theoretically the only thing wrong is the wiring. The price was right, dirt cheap, so I am undertaking the repair even though I know nothing about wiring.

Toot said:
The wheels look sharp, but that bike's really begging for a powder-coated frame, imo. Man.. a black frame on that would look sweet. I think I saw one like that...

Mine is the original 2002 model. Since then they have come out with several new models including a "night rod" which is black...

Vermicous said:
Speaking of motorcycles, do you know of a good forum? Especially one focused on repair?

I am slowly restoring a 1986 Yamaha, theoretically the only thing wrong is the wiring. The price was right, dirt cheap, so I am undertaking the repair even though I know nothing about wiring.
Get the factgory repair manual from the dealer --- they will charge you dearly but it will be worth every cent. You will need the schematics and diagnostics for the electrical problems anyway, or you're pi$$ing in the wind. If it's a Virago they all had starter and solenoid problems, and voltage regulators (problems) were common on those I think, too.
If you hear of a good motorcyle repair forum, let me know. For older or vintage type "asian" motorcyles, you'll be hard pressed to do any better than lucking upon an "old timer" tech, especially if they are in a bike state like CA, AZ, NM, FL...

John Beere said:
Yes, the VROD has a water-cooler engine. I've got 12,500+ miles one it so far with no problems...

I actually live about 15 miles from this drag strip: http://www.sgmpracing.com although I've never raced it. Lets just say without the windshield I can hang with any sport bike I've come up against. No this isn't a challenge... I know there are plenty faster and more nimble, but my bike's handling still amazes me.

That's a nice track -- extra nice to have a 1/4 mile nearby and not just an eighth.
The part that will crack you up, if you ever try it, is that you will also likely eat their lunch on the dragstrip. We used to crush Hiabusa's with our 1000cc ironhead all the time for the first 1/8 mile and we'd end up getting nipped at the big end usually, but the Harleys' torque really does go a long way toward making it easier to launch hard without flipping over -- which is a major concern for the sportbikes.
Yeah, sportbikers usually underestimate how well a lot of Harleys actually handle, too. They aren't sportbikes, but Electra Glides will even amaze you with the right rider.

Nice ride John. :rockin: FWIW I like the frame. Offsets the tank, fenders and tires nicely and almost makes it look like it's "floating". Blurs the lines between the engine and the color of the tank, seat, etc.

And the wheels are awesome. :mug:

Ize

Ize said:
Nice ride John. :rockin: FWIW I like the frame. Offsets the tank, fenders and tires nicely and almost makes it look like it's "floating". Blurs the lines between the engine and the color of the tank, seat, etc.

And the wheels are awesome. :mug:

Ize

Thanks. Just cause it seems to blow everyones mind who isn't expecting it... that isn't the gas tank - thats the air breather. The gas tank is under the seat...

John Beere said:
Thanks. Just cause it seems to blow everyones mind who isn't expecting it... that isn't the gas tank - thats the air breather. The gas tank is under the seat...

Damn, shows you how much I know about the V-Rod. I really didn't know that. So where the hell is the oil tank? (Sorry, I really don't know anything about this bike at all)

Ize

Ize said:
Damn, shows you how much I know about the V-Rod. I really didn't know that. So where the hell is the oil tank? (Sorry, I really don't know anything about this bike at all)

Ize

You can't see it from this side but its right behind the radiator...

I always swore if I ever got a Harley, it'd be a VROD (ok, not always...but since they introduced that model...). The price tag really put me off, though. My Dad recently bought a Sportster 1200 Custom, and he liked it so much, I let him talk me into buying one. It shows up next week!

Still wish I had the cash for the VROD...that's a sweet ride, JB! Good call on the wheels!

John those look great and I know how much you paid!!! Just turned over 70,000 on my Road King, I just love to ride... Ride Safe.

1332-P1010045.JPG

Back