Blending Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
So, I'm going to be starting looking for a Belgian style house pale ale soon (In table beer/ session beer fashion). I'm not really looking for a saison but it's looking that way so far. Anyhow, I'm trying to get a unique yeast blend to contribute some complexity. I'm starting to culture Dupont dregs but I also want to add dregs from my dubbel that was fermented with WLP530.

The problem is that the dubbel was in secondary for three months, and when I bottled I added some S-05 even though it probably wasn't necessary. It's not like I filtered it, but I feel like the dominate presence if I culture bottle dregs will be S-05 instead of WLP 530. So considering I want to mix those dregs with Dupont dregs, I would have S-05, Dupont, and WLP 530 in there...am I just asking for trouble?

Any opinions welcome! Thanks all! :mug:

Mixing yeasts isn't asking for trouble, but the ultimate flavor isn't predictable. Whether that's good or bad depends on your risk tolerance!

Yeah I mean I guess I know it would work, just wondering how the concentration for WLP530 will be. But how would anyone know that? I guess there's only one way for me to find out!

Back