Blending cascade and centennial hops for an IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to surprise my wife with a new higher gravity IPA and after looking around I found the recipe that I have started to alter a bit. I would like to know if it would be a good idea to split the cascade hop additions with 50% cascade and 50% centennial instead of just using all cascade hops. If anyone has comments on the grain bill I would love to hear more input. I have thought about trying something for an IPA

8 lbs Pale malt
3 lbs Maris Otter
3 lbs Vienna
1 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 20L
1 oz Summit hops FWH (60 min)
1/2 oz Summit hops (60 min)
2 oz Cascade (10 min)
2 oz Cascade (0 min)

8 lbs Pale malt
3 lbs Maris Otter
3 lbs Vienna
1 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 20L
1 oz Summit hops FWH (60 min)
1/2 oz Summit hops (60 min)
1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Centennial (10 min)
1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Centennial (0 min)

^50/50 cascade & centennial is a classic combo and is sure to please.

depending on what you're looking for, i'd say your combo of crystal and munich will land you on the sweeter/maltier side. cut the crystal in half or less for something a little more crisp/refreshing/sessionable. that's a lot of vienna as well - not really a bad thing, but you will certainly taste it :D

i would suggest mashing pretty low if you stick with the current grain bill. id shoot for 148 if it were me.

dry hop with an ounce of each (or more) to send it over the top!

good luck

^50/50 cascade & centennial is a classic combo and is sure to please.

depending on what you're looking for, i'd say your combo of crystal and munich will land you on the sweeter/maltier side. cut the crystal in half or less for something a little more crisp/refreshing/sessionable. that's a lot of vienna as well - not really a bad thing, but you will certainly taste it :D

i would suggest mashing pretty low if you stick with the current grain bill. id shoot for 148 if it were me.

dry hop with an ounce of each (or more) to send it over the top!

good luck

OK...I took out the Munich and cut the crystal down. I thought about using just straight pale malt but wanted to try to create a bit more complex malt bill so that is why there is some Maris Otter and Vienna. If the IBUs are so high on this recipe that one won't be able to taste any of the MO or Vienna I can take these out.

Back