Blended Lactobacillus Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlangfo5

Reaction score
As implied by the title, I have set out to brew a blended Gose (GOH-zeh). I want a beer that pleasantly tart, but not tooth enamel etching sour. I had a great success inspired by Berliner Weisse with a "sour saision" that involved pitching lacto prior to pitching yeast whose pH dropped down to around ~3.4 in a matter of days, it was tasty, but "tooth etching sour".

I want to brew two batches of beer with the same grain bill, about 60% wheat and 40% pilsner mashed nice and low around 148. One batch will get around 20 IBUs worth of hops, the other will get no hops. The one with hops will get fermented right away with yeast, while the other will be allowed to sour prior to yeast fermentation until it has reached it's terminal pH level.

Once the sour been has been ... soured, I will pitch yeast into it to allow it to attenuate completely. (My previous experience doing this yielded a dry very sour beer). Once both beers are fully attenuated, I want to blend them together until I get the desired sourness by taste, add salt to taste, stabilize using sulfites to prevent the large existing lacto colony from having it's way with my beer over prolonged storage, and carbonate using wine yeast which are bred to handle the sulfites used in wine making.

The end result I am hoping for should be a light to moderately sour light bodied wheat beer with a hint of sea salt with at most 10 IBUs of bitterness (if both batches were blended equally).

I will come up with a grain bill for this soon, I have no experience brewing with sea salt or coriander either, so that might be fun. Any advice would be appreciated, Im hoping this should be a fun and bountiful experiment!

BJCP2015:
Overall Impression:
a highly carbonated, tart and fruity wheat ale with a restrained coriander and salt character and low bitterness. Very refreshing, with bright flavors and high
attenuation.

Characteristic Ingredients:
Pilsner and wheat malt, restrained use of salt and coriander seed, lactobacillus. The coriander should have a fresh, citrusy (lemon or bitter orange), bright note, and not be vegetal, celery like, or ham like. The salt should have a sea salt or fresh salt character, not a metallic, iodine note.

Back