Bleach Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneHed13

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of specific brewing sanitizers but I've also heard a lot about bleach and that just seems like a terrible idea to me... Guidance for a newbie who is starting his first batch tomorrow, and therefore drinking a sampler of new glarus tonight to start collecting bottles... That I will eventually need to clean!

Oxyclean helps take labels off. Starsan is my favorite sanitizer. I don't use bleach at all for brewing.

No bleach here. Oxy mixed 2:1 with TSP for cleaning. Star San is great for sanitizing. Keep some in a spray bottle. Very handy.

I used bleach 20 years ago when I started homebrewing. Used it until about 5 years ago. Around 1 Tbl spoon for 5 gallons. It works, requires rinsing of everything to avoid 'off flavors'. I've used it in emergency situations where I had no star San and was worried about it, but star San is MUCH easier and not much more when you consider it can be reused vs dumping bleach water after every brew / bottling session.

+1 on the spray bottle of StarSan.

Get a good quality sprayer. Clean your equipment with oxyclean (or other non-soap cleanser). Rinse with tap water. Douse or spray with StarSan (only the stuff that touch post boil wort). No rinse. No dry. Don't fear the foam. Easy peasy.

+1 on the spray bottle of StarSan.

Get a good quality sprayer.

Absolutely get a good quality spray bottle and one that hasn't been used to spray bleach or any other chemicals. I started with one from the dollar store and quickly switched to a good one that has served me well.

A very sound rule to follow for cleaning/sanitizing is: clean right after use, sanitize right before use (you want it to be wet with StarSan)

Soon enough you'll always have a bottle of StarSan on hand, no matter the project. You'll actually find yourself saying, "Now where did I put that damn sprayer of StarSan this time?"

Or maybe that's just me.

On my first 2 batches I used bleach to sterilize my primary and other equipment. I had to rinse the heck out of everything. It works but requires lots of rinsing (which is extra time and not to mention the potential to contaminate your equipment). I started using Starsan my 3rd batch and have never turned back. It makes sanitizing much easier.

I store my fermenters filled with mild bleach solution, and run it thru my tubing both before and after use. It doesn't take much to rinse out, but you need to use hot water.

I use Idophor for bottling as it us a no-rinse sanitizer and only takes 30 seconds to sanitize. Bleach is a real pain to use for bottles.

Revey's Tips: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

My system:
1-Drink store bought beer and rinse after drinking
2-Wait till I have 12 bottles empty
3-Place 12 bottles in 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of OxyClean
4-Leave them there while drinking another 12 bottles and repeat
5-Lables come off in a week or so sometimes faster, but I wait the 12 bottle time whatever that is.
6-Rinse the bottles and store upside down to drain dry
7-Put the bottles in 6 pack holder and place in a covered plactic box. Mine can hold 1 1/2 cases of emptys.
8-On bottling day bring needed bottles to kitchen and soak in StarSan for a few mintues.
9-Stack bottles on the lower rack of dish washer after spraying the heck out of the washer w/StarSan
10-Place bottling bucket on top of dishwasher and fill.
11-Cap w/caps that have been soaked in Star San.
12-Wait 3 weeks and enjoy my latest brew.

Back