Bleach and Vinegar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp69_2001

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had really tried to use the solution mentioned on brewing basic radio on 03/29/07. Mentioned here is a process of using 1 ounce of bleach with 5 gallons of water then 1 ounce of white vinegar to create a very effective no-rinse sanitizer.

And yeah. Ill go with Iodophor. If you mess up that recipe...You will get one nasty beer my friend.

Long live Underground Utah Brewing...!!!

I've been using plain bleach. No infections so far (knock on wood) but rinsing becomes tedious. Especially for my fermenters. Doesn't Iodophor turn everything yellow? Beside's I live nearly 200 miles from my HBS. So finding a resonable alternative to paying more shipping costs sounds fantastic.

I used bleach for my first few batches. It's a pain to rinse and make sure you get it all off. Worst of all is how quickly you can ruin perfectly good clothing.

Where's Yuri's video of adding Bleach to vinegar and liberating HCl and Cl2 gas?

Use Iodophor or Starsan my friend.

And if you're ever up in the SLC neck of the woods, drop my a line.

You use 1 tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water. Just rinse with a bottle washer, you don't have to go crazy.

I am using bleach less and less now days. As was pointed out rinsing can become a pain. Oxy clean for cleaning works better for me and is easier to rinse, and then idophor for sanitization / final rinse works well for me.

dp69_2001 - " Doesn't Iodophor turn everything yellow?"
NO - just a crummy looking brown if you leave it overnight or longer. But "I know its clean". Works for me but some people get turned off on it.

Oxyclean and starsan all the way here.

Cleaning/sanitizing has never been less of a chore.

It's more work to do the dishes than it is to clean/sanitize nowadays.

Oxyclean is magical on old krausen and crap that gets glued to my fermenter.I've been using one ounce of bleach for every 5 gallons now with no problems. I'm not too afraid to test the method he mentions on this. I just don't really want a ruined batch. I get near boiling water out of my faucet so rinsing isn't really a huge issue. But in my tiny apartment rinsing my fermenters in the bath tub becomes slightly tedious. Charlie Talley sounds really confident in using this. He's from five star chemicals and the inventor of Star-San. Which seems like a fairly knowledgeable source of information on this subject. Realistically, bleach just fits into my budget and such better than the other sanitizers. I also don't really think about ordering sanitizer while ordering my ingredients.

Somewhat new to brewing, but I am a chemist for a major water utility. Adding 1Tbsp of bleach to 5 gallons gives a chlorine concentration of roughly 50ppm. Adding the vinegar does 2 things: 1. lowers the pH to form hypochlorous acid (what actually sanitizes) and 2. Neutralizes some of the taste/odor of bleach. That said....

I used this exclusiviely to sanatize my equimpment last batch. Everything turned out great. I didn't even dry my bottles completely before filling. A few drops of 50ppm bleach solution in a bottle of beer is impossible to taste (trust me, I've done studies....) In fact, you will probably have more residual chlorine in your final brew if you used tap water for your wort or topping off.

Just my 2 cents! Go beer!

I used the bleach/vinegar no rinse a few times, no problems at all. Now use star san as I think it's supposed to be a bit quicker

Back