Quantcast

BLC Lifespan?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Khirsah17

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just started using Beer Line Cleaner (BLC). I was wondering if this is a product that I can mix up, drop equipment in it, and forget about it until my next brew day. Does it go bad at any point, or lose its potency?

Thanks!

malkore

Reaction score
I think its acid based...so I suspect over time the pH rises and makes it less effective.

FWIW I don't clean my picnic tap lines often. I just swap to a new keg and fill the hose with the new beer.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
BLC actually is a highly alkaline, potassium hydroxide product. I understand that it is quite stable, although I have nothing to back that up.

You do not need to leave anything soaking in BLC like that. It is a very effective cleanser. The directions state that you should rinse thoroughly, so I would not leave anything in it like I would StarSan.

I only use BLC for cleaning my corny kegs after each batch. Just add one tablespoon to a quart of warm water, add that to the keg, close and seal, shake, and then run it out through the liquid line. I follow that with a good rinse of sanitizer and then leave the keg pressured up until I need it.

TL