Blackberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Bob has been interested in winemaker more so than beer brewing, and he's the one that picks all of the fruit for our "country" wines.

Since I've had "the plague" this week, he said he'd make a couple of batches of wine just with my oversight. He did ok, but the whole cleaning/sanitizing thing seems to be beyond him. :D

He started a 5 gallon batch of the blackberry wine posted under my avatar, and he is thawing a 5 gallon bucket of sauvignon blanc grape juice.

Those blackberries were picked this past August, and they are wonderful! We had so much rain this year that they are huge and plump. I didn't take an OG reading (will wait until tomorrow, when he pitches the yeast) but I enouraged him to use less sugar than my recipe calls for because I bet they have more sugar in them this year.

I'm so glad that he's taking more of an interest in the winemaking. Now I wish I could get him excited about racking.

I think I will always agree with Bob.....racking sucks. I did make my first blackerry wine which I bottled last summer. Its kind of bitter. I left the fruit in the primary for 5 days and squeezed out the bag when done. Maybe its from the seeds?

Ahh racking. Wife and I racked over 100 gal of Blackberry wine. We did have our new elec. wine pump tho. Felt if beat the wine up more than I would have liked. Wife said honey when we back sweeten in Nov. lets do it in a two day time frame, instead of one....

Blackberry can have high malic acid if berries are picked early. I wait until the berries almost juice in hand when picking. This solved my bitter blackberry wine problem

Racking doesn't suck. Reward yourself with a sample, and then it's much more fun!

Just like a man, not paying attention to sanitation... ;)

Back