Blackberry wine- SG went from 1.130 to off the scale!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebrinak

Reaction score
Started a new batch of wine this last weekend (recipe below) and forgot to take the SG for a day. Decided it would be the wrong number but wanted to know anyway so I took it a day after the yeast was added. Well, it is very active and I am getting ready to leave for the weekend so I was giving it a mix and cleaning the airlock as it was full of the mix. figured I would take another reading for the fun of it and it is off the scale now! I am no pro, but don't the numbers go down over time? I am not super worried but would love some insight for my own learning.

28 lbs berries (previously fresh frozen)
20lbs sugar
EC-1118---- it what I had on hand
2.5 tsp acid blend
2.5 tsp pectic enzyme
5 tsp yeast nutrient
water to fill the bucket--heated the sugar in the water to dissolve.

sat overnight and pitched yeast dry the next day at room temp.
20210527_101839.jpg

If you’re still beyond range, dilute your sample by 1/2 with distill (or just tap) water so that you’re equal parts H2O and must. Get your reading, then double the value.

What size batch is this? For a 6 gallon batch, I tend to use about 12 pounds of sugar, depending on the sugar content of the berries.
yes, it's a 6 gallon batch. Well, more now because I removed some and added water to bring the SG to 1.1 or so. It is still happy. And I now have a 2-3 gallon batch on the side.

Twenty pounds of sugar will raise the gravity of water by about 800 points. Divide that by 6 (gallons) and the starting gravity (before you add the sugars from the fruit) is then about 1.133 or about 17% ABV The fruit might add another 25 points/gallon so let's call the guestimated SG around 1.160 or "potentially about 21% ABV (not possible to reach with yeast), but a berry wine that would seem to be more ethanol than fruit flavored...

Last edited:
Back