Blackberry wine est og?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
4lbs black berries
1/2 tsp Pectic enzymes
1/2 tsp acid blend
1 campden tablet
5 cups table sugar
1/2 tsp yeast nutrients
14cups of water
1 pack Lalvin K1-V1116

I forgot to take a gravity reading before addin the yeast... And experts able to calculate an estimated gravity so I have a ball park abv wen it's bottled?

How long ago did you add the yeast? Can you take one now before it starts to boil and bubble? There is a nice program for free called fermtech you can download and plug in your numbers to help you out. WVMJ

It's been a little while.... Friday I am racking and allowing it to sit for 2 months and then ill bottle per instructions from jack Keller

It's been a little while.... Friday I am racking and allowing it to sit for 2 months and then ill bottle per instructions from jack Keller

You'll probably have to rack more than once, as blackberry wine might drop lees for longer than 2 months.

I made a blackberry wine this fall that is clear and may still drop a few more lees before I bottle it. Don't be in a hurry to bottle it in two months- follow Jack's instructions on that and only bottle when it's clear and no longer dropping any lees for at least two months.

The OG may be anywhere from 1.110 or more, depending on how sweet the berries were. 5 cups of table sugar is about 2.5 pounds, so there is 1.092ish right there. But it's hard to say, without a reading.

Ok thanks, I was trying to follow jacks reciepe cause it says

"Place in cool (60-65 degrees F.) dark place for three weeks. Rack, allow another two months to finish, then rack again and bottle in dark glass. Allow a year to mature to a nice semi-sec. [Adapted from Raymond Massaccesi's Winemaker's Recipe Handbook]"

So just wait till the lees have finished dropping instead of bottling after the time he recommends?

Ok thanks, I was trying to follow jacks reciepe cause it says

"Place in cool (60-65 degrees F.) dark place for three weeks. Rack, allow another two months to finish, then rack again and bottle in dark glass. Allow a year to mature to a nice semi-sec. [Adapted from Raymond Massaccesi's Winemaker's Recipe Handbook]"

So just wait till the lees have finished dropping instead of bottling after the time he recommends?

No, rack, and wait 60 days. If the wine is totally clear and there are NO lees at all in those 60 days, it can be bottled (or bulk aged). If there are any lees at all, rack, and wait 60 days again. Repeat as needed. Once it's clear, and no new lees fall in at least 60 days, it can be bottled. Those instructions call for at least two rackings, but I understood your post to have only one.

Ahh good call... I didn't read that close enough, good call thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back