blackberry season approaches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FromZwolle

I don't want to be cremated, I want to be malted.
Reaction score
I've got just a few weeks to plan out what to do with all the blackberries that will become available. Over the course of 2-3 weeks that they are ripe, i'm only limited to how much i can carry and how long i can take all the mosquitos.
Does anyone have a good suggestion on what to brew with all the free berries? i greatly prefer beer over wine, but as for beer style i am wide open. i've got a sizable 'beerflix' queque waiting to get brewed, but berry season will not wait. I'm already going to try my hand at a small batch of red/black raspberry lambic, so i'd like to do something different with the blackberries.

Thanks for the input!:mug:

A blackberry flanders red was one of my favorite batches (4 years old, down to my last 2 bottles). I just picked up some blackberries and black raspberries to do something along the same lines as well. Might be a good sub for the lambic, rather than something different...

I think fruit does well in a big rich lager as well, I really enjoyed a cherry doppelbock I brewed a few years back.

just started a 1 gal batch of blackberry wine 3 days ago. fermenting like crazy:)
the mosquitos and the thorns were a PITA but still managed to get 4+ lbs.

Slightly off but I will be making a mulberry oatmeal stout soon, I would think that blackberries would do well in this style as well, since they are fairly close in taste, blackberries being stronger.

i have mulberries in my backyard, but it seems like such a hassle to collect any good amount of them. which type did you use, the ones that turn red then black, or the ones that turn white, then purple?

i have mulberries in my backyard, but it seems like such a hassle to collect any good amount of them. which type did you use, the ones that turn red then black, or the ones that turn white, then purple?

The ones that turn red then black. If you are going to pick them I have some tips that will save some headaches:
- pick the black/purple ones
- tie plastic bags around your shoes
- wear latex gloves and old clothes
- if berries stain skin use some diluted bleach to clean off.

My family also makes mulberry wine and it is very comparable to a Merlot. SWMBO, mom and I picked berries for about 20 min and got 3 pounds.

The ones that turn red then black. If you are going to pick them I have some tips that will save some headaches:
- pick the black/purple ones
- tie plastic bags around your shoes
- wear latex gloves and old clothes
- if berries stain skin use some diluted bleach to clean off.

My family also makes mulberry wine and it is very comparable to a Merlot. SWMBO, mom and I picked berries for about 20 min and got 3 pounds.

#5 Don't climb the tree to pick berries, especially with plastic bags on your shoes. :D

Growing up we had (still there at my mom's house) a mulberry tree about 25-30' high in our yard.

Here's the easiest way to pick mulberries:

Step 1: Spread a blanket (one you don't care if it gets stained) out on the ground under the tree.
Step 2: Shake the crap out of tree.
Step 3: Collect berries from blanket.

July 4th weekend I'm doing a Fat Tire clone and throwing in a bunch of blackberries.

I've done blackberry wine, blackberry cider (1 lb of berries per gallon of apple juice), and a blackberry wheat. Made a blackberry cobbler last weekend from some berries left over from last year. I've made jelly and jam in other years.

By way of contrast, the blackberries on my property have JUST started blooming in the low, sunny spots! Those by the house may not bloom for another 2-3 weeks. Climate zone 1 bites, but I've got a great view.

Here's the easiest way to pick mulberries:

Step 1: Spread a blanket (one you don't care if it gets stained) out on the ground under the tree.
Step 2: Shake the crap out of tree.
Step 3: Collect berries from blanket.

I discoved this spring that I have a big mulberry tree (red to black) in my new backyard. Sadly it has got to be the blandest fruit I have ever tasted. I'll have to try something similar and add them to a sour beer, just to say I did it.

I did a blackberry wit last month for SWMBO's birthday and it turned out great! The best part (aside from the taste) was the look on people's faces when i poured them a pint of purple beer! BTW I used the oregon blackberry puree for a week in the 2ndary, I think it was a 49 ounce can.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. still a few weeks before i have berries in hand, but here's what i'm thinkin so far:
Blackberry wit.
Blackberry cider.
cherry ale-some kind of brown(promised the swmbo)
raspberry lambic.
blackberry flanders.
regular oatmeal stout-not enough berries for all of em. and i love the classic stout.

Just not sure about the quantities of each yet. i'll just have to see how long i can stand the skeeters.

Here's another question for you-how do you prep the berries? campden tabs?

I've done blackberry wine, blackberry cider (1 lb of berries per gallon of apple juice), and a blackberry wheat. Made a blackberry cobbler last weekend from some berries left over from last year. I've made jelly and jam in other years.

By way of contrast, the blackberries on my property have JUST started blooming in the low, sunny spots! Those by the house may not bloom for another 2-3 weeks. Climate zone 1 bites, but I've got a great view.

the jelly and jam is strictly my grandmothers domain. I'll never top hers.

And as far as the difference in blooming schedule-i know a family with mulberry trees about 10 miles from my house that were fully ripe 2 weeks before my trees even started to change color. silly old nature :rolleyes:

I freeze and then thaw all of my fresh fruit that goes into my batches, I have not had a problem and get great flavor extraction from the fruit.

i was thinking more of the wild bugs on the skins. i take it they shouldn't be a problem?

That's what I was talking about too. I think freezing them kills the bugs. Of course, a crushed up Campden tab would probably work too.

ok thanks. i was planning on going for several picking "rounds' so i would freeze them anyway.

Back