Blackberry Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyzaboy89

Reaction score
Started a Blackberry Melomel a year ago as quarantine hit and just bottled, first fruit mead I've been able to keep up with as they tend to ferment rather quick. No sulfur smell, which is a first for my melomels, bulk aged all year and settled out clear after about 5 months from pitch. Filled and corked 30 bottles, actually broke my plastic hand corker that I bought 9 years ago in the process but no injuries luckily. Very simple recipe as I'm playing with simple base's to backsweeten and spice later. I find it pays off to keep it simple until after the 6 month mark then play with additions but that's just me. Just wanting to share my first blackberry that is disappearing quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_20210206_155806778.jpg
    IMG_20210206_155806778.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210206_155940589~2.jpg
    IMG_20210206_155940589~2.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 36
11.25 lbs Frozen/Thawed blackberries
16 lbs honey
71B-1122 yeast, single pack 1 year past expiration
Water to 6.5 gallons.
S.G. 1.106
Standard sna, pectic enzyme, acid blend, campden tablets...
I'm attempting to repeat the recipe before posting it on recipes while also trying two other melomels in a similar manner.

It's in the shopping cart already, made this for the wife and before she thought 6.5 gallons was a lot... Then she said 30 bottles isn't enough so she's onboard with early Christmas presents now.
Did you ever get the floor corker? 🤔🤨
Also, did you ever post this after you made the batch you made recently?
Thanks, in advance, if you do reply.

I did purchase the floor corker, haven't used it yet but getting ready to make a base for it so it's ready.
Haven't posted the recipe yet as the first batch had some numbers that didn't add up, fairly certain I didn't have all the honey in suspension for my O.G. 2nd run of Blackberry melomel is going from secondary to aging in the next few days. The Blackberry Cherry melomel is racked to secondary already. I'll write up what I've got so far and post it here, really want to make one or two more batches to make sure it's refined a bit and then make my wife follow the recipe.

I did purchase the floor corker, haven't used it yet but getting ready to make a base for it so it's ready.
Haven't posted the recipe yet as the first batch had some numbers that didn't add up, fairly certain I didn't have all the honey in suspension for my O.G. 2nd run of Blackberry melomel is going from secondary to aging in the next few days. The Blackberry Cherry melomel is racked to secondary already. I'll write up what I've got so far and post it here, really want to make one or two more batches to make sure it's refined a bit and then make my wife follow the recipe.
Yeah buddy, Not trying to hurry you. If you want to refine it before you post, it's all good. It'll be torture waiting, but, I think I have enough made for the moment😂.

Back