Blackberry Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernlad

Reaction score
My freezer door got left open and 2.5 gallons of Blackberry juice partially thawed. I don't want to refreeze it so I thought I would use it as an excuse to make my first mead.
I used fresh picked blackberries and cooked them down with a little water in the pan. Then I ran them through a fine chinois and froze the juice.
I see plenty of recipes for blackberry additions but they are always in pounds of whole fruit. If I am guessing I would say roughly 10# of berries per gallon of juice. Thoughts?
I would also like a little feedback of when to introduce the juice to the mead and in what quantity.
Or should I just go for a blackberry wine and boost the OG with the honey?

Just use the juice and take a gravity reading. Then boost the gravity to 1.070 - 1.100 for a mead (melomel) of 10% - 14% ABV. That is the easiest thing to do.

Thanks for the reply. I may just make a 3 gallon batch, add honey to boost the juice and top off with water if needed.

Turns out after the bags leaked I only had 5.25 quarts of thick blackberry juice.
I combined that with 10lbs honey to make a five gallon batch. OG was only 1.080 but I think that is probably a good thing for my first mead.

1.080 is not a bad gravity. I honestly prefer my meads in the 1.070 - 1.080 range to start. If I want a higher ABV then I add additional honey after at least half this gravity is dropped down. It is much easier on the yeast this way.

Check of final gravity was 1.000 this morning. Will let it sit for a couple weeks then transfer to secondary. It has a tart finish, I assume from the blackberries. Not too dry and not much alcohol.

Latest posts

Back