Blackberry Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rialaigh

Reaction score
So, complete experiment here and I am not even really sure this qualifies as a mead but its the closest thing I could think of.

2 gallon batch

Initial

22 ounces orange blossom honey
2 pounds 100% brown sugar cane (Solid)
3 cups raw agave nectar
6 ounces fresh blackberries
2 teaspoons bread yeast (1 per gallon)
Water to fill

First Rack
2 pounds honey (one for each gallon)
Blackberries to fill

Additional Racks
Blackberries to fill

Process
Use 2 clean 1 gallon carboys
Bring 1/2-1 gallon of water to light boil on stove with 2 pounds of solid brown sugar cane in pot stirring constantly. when sugar cane is dissolved remove pot from heat, wait for it to cool slightly, and stir 22 ounces of honey into mixture. Place pot in ice bath and add 3 cups of agave nectar (raw) and stir. When mixture is fairly cool put half of mixture into each carboy. add lukewarm (or cool, depending on mixture temperature) water till carboy is near full. Put caps on and shake well. Remove caps, add one teaspoon bread yeast to each carboy, replace caps shake lightly. Remove caps, add 3 ounces blackberries to each carboy, add airlocks and sit somewhere and leave alone for a while. I had bubbles through airlock within 10 minutes.

1st Rack - I plan on racking after 10-14 days and adding an additional pound of honey to each carboy and topping up with blackberries (if there is any room). (obviously this will raise the gravity more, hopefully giving it more of a mead honey taste and making it sweeter).

Additional Racks - I plan on racking several times over 3-4 months and topping off with blackberries each time. I want a very strong blackberry flavor. I will not bottle until fermentation is complete (should still be sweet because bread yeast should sputter out).

Bottling - I plan on siphoning both carboys into my bottling bucket, stirring gently, crushing a pound or two of blackerries into the mix and leaving for 6-12 hours, then stirring gently and bottling into 12 ounce bottles. I will taste it at bottling time but will likely not open any bottles for 3-6 months after bottling.

Wish me luck, idk wth this recipe is but its random stuff I saw at the grocery store today so I was like...lets do ittt....

Back