Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angus MacDonald

Reaction score
So much like my blueberry cider question, how many blackberries would you guys use for a 12L batch? I picked about 1.3kg/2 1/2lbs of lovely fresh blackberries and I'm gonna make the cider tomorrow.

So much like my blueberry cider question, how many blackberries would you guys use for a 12L batch? I picked about 1.3kg/2 1/2lbs of lovely fresh blackberries and I'm gonna make the cider tomorrow.

I have no idea at all, but when I make blackberry wine I use 6 pounds per gallon of wine. That may not help much at all, but it gives nice blackberry notes without being overwhelmingly so.

There a few posts recently about "fruit" cider. For what it is worth, this is what I did for an "experimental" batch of cherry cider earlier in the year.

Five kilograms of mixed apples and one kilogram of beurre bosc pears juiced to give 2.5 litres of juice. Into primary with SO4 until SG dropped to 1.020 from 1.072.

Transferred to secondary and added 250g of frozen pitted cherries and their juice (my cherries, just pitted and frozen). I expect that both the pears and cherries added sorbitol to enhance the sweetness of the end result.

Racked off after about a month at 1.003. Added AJ to 1.005 and bottled.

There wasn't anything scientific about adding the cherries... it just looked like the right amount. Anyhow, the results turned out quite good.

Good luck!

Adding them to apple juice.

Id freeze the blackberries, make about 2 gallons of cider, when its done fermenting, rack the cider on to the blackberries.
If you want to experiment, divide the cider, and rack 1 gallon on to half of your berries; stabilize the other gallon and rack that on to the rest of your fruit.

Id freeze the blackberries, make about 2 gallons of cider, when its done fermenting, rack the cider on to the blackberries.
If you want to experiment, divide the cider, and rack 1 gallon on to half of your berries; stabilize the other gallon and rack that on to the rest of your fruit.
Unfortunately I've no room in my freezer just now. Ended up boiling them like I would a jam to deal with any critters and get the juices out. Then I made 4 individual pies and put the rest in the cider. Will have to see how it comes along.

Ok. Finally got round to bottling. Looking forward to when this one matures.
IMG_20181007_173633.jpeg

Just seeing this now. I add about 1/2-1 lb per gallon and that's a pretty dark cider. I add into secondary right after racking

Back