Blackberry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
I am one of those guys who likes to be different and experiment with different things. Anyone ever try a blackberry cider?

Not yet, but I do have a lovely mulberry cider. The thing to keep in mind with these berry brews is that the fruit contains a metric buttload of acidity.... so if you like that then go for it. Or consider introduction of malolactic bacteria or something to take the edge off. Also helps to arrest fermentation early when specific gravity is still around 1.005 to 1.010 so that the sweetness can counterbalance the acidity better.

Hi Sttifyd35, and welcome.
By "cider" do you mean hard apple juice or by cider do you mean a low alcohol fruit wine? If the latter I have made a blackberry low alcohol wine - SG was 1.041. I pitched Safale US -05 (5.3% ABV) - no apples used in the wine.

For Blackberry cider what I do is make a base cider with as many different kinds of apples as I can get, but about 60% sweet, like yellow delicious, about 10% Granny smith, 30% Ida Red, NorthernSpy, and whatever else I can find.
When its done I age if for a few months to clear. I get frozen blackberries from the grocery store and put them in a 1 gallon jug and add the cider I keep it cold and the fermentation won't kick off again. Its ready in a week or so,but needs to be consumed fast so it doesn't re-ferment. There's lots of other ways but this is the easy way to get real blackberry flavor.

I tried a half apple, half blackberry juice mixture and I thought it came out quite nice. I would do it again.

I've got something like that fermenting right now. It's not 100% blackberry. It was a mix with the typical juices like pear and grape. I never saw it ferment strongly but there was evidence of krausen in the bucket and it smells of alcohol. I think it might have gone crazy that first night and then settled down before I checked it he next day. Looking forward to trying it.

I call this Black Apple Cider. I used fresh blackberry juice i made for jelly added to the secondary. Macerate the berries in sugar overnight first. Pasteurize the juice and remove any foam. I think i added about 2.5 cups to almost a gallon of cider.

black-apple%20wine1_zpser4myqms.jpg

Back