Blackberry Belgian Triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessWinter77

Reaction score
Im going to brew a blackberry belgian tripel and could use some input/tips. For one, I have never brewed a belgian let alone a tripel so any tips on that are welcome. Ive also never brewed a fruit beer.

Ive got 20+ lbs of blackberries in the freezer. I would like it to have a fairly distinct blackberry flavor and be slightly sweet. Somewhat of a fall/winter warmer but drinkable and serve-able out of a pint glass (aka not a syrupy dessert beer like they serve in snifters in small quantities)

Im thinking that the best method of adding the berries is to create a blackberry juice/syrup by boiling down and straining (pasteurizing at the same time). On the other hand, if I added whole berries or a berry mash to the boil or fermentations would it extract to much tannin from the seeds?

Im thinking about adding most of the juice to the primary. Would I need to worry about the beer turning out too "winey" if I added a large quantity? I was also considering adding juice at kegging to bring out a full flavor and some sweetness. Im guessing that I would need to add a camdon tablet to prevent further fermentation.

Any ideas on quantity of juice? Preferably I would do a 10 gal batch split with a buddy.

Anyhow any tips or comments are welcome!

well if it helps any, i added 5lbs of blueberries to a stout and came out just right. Nice balance of the malt and strong blueberry flavor. People usually use 10Lbs of rasberries in a lambic, what ever you do make sure you add the berries after the fermentation, that will help you stay away from the winey taste

Back