Blackberry Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

My neighbourhood is overwhelmed with blackberries so I feel obligated to use them.

I really want to create a recipe around blackberries as opposed to adding blackberries to a porter or some other recipe.

Here's the recipe I've come up with. I often find that blackberry beers I've had are cloying or heavy. I think the blackberry flavour would be better in a slightly lighter beer. I like the wheat flavour with fruit, and the flaked barley is for a softer mouthfeel. The chocolate is primarily for colour, but I think the flavour will be complimentary. Hops are negotiable but I'm only going to use one bittering addition - I like magnum because it's clean and high AA.

Amount Item Type % or IBU

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.75 %
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 23.53 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (425.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %
18.00 gm Magnum [14.20 %] (60 min) Hops 33.6 IBU
3.00 lb Blackberries! (Secondary 5.0 min)

Single infusion mash at 152F.

I'm still unsure of the yeast. I'm thinking either 1056 to revel in the flavours of everything else, or a belgian yeast to make it interesting. I could also do a lager if that seems good.

I'm also considering spice additions like star anise to get some licorice flavour in there, which I though could be great.

Thoughts?

Never used blackberries in beer, however my brother has made wine from them. They ferment very completely and leave very little residual taste. It may add a little complexity to something malty. Probably gonna be good.

I would really like to know how this beer turns out. My father has six pounds of blackberries he picked this year and wants me to make a beer with them. I was thinking about a porter or stout, but I would rather do something like your suggestion. I just wasn't sure how the berries would come thru. Report back please...

That looks good. Do you plan on racking the beer onto the blackberries after the primary fermentation?

If you have huge amounts of blackberries, try fermenting them by themselves. No extra sugar or apple juice. It's a nice drink. Ferment on the berry for a week, rack and let it settle.

That looks good. Do you plan on racking the beer onto the blackberries after the primary fermentation?

If you have huge amounts of blackberries, try fermenting them by themselves. No extra sugar or apple juice. It's a nice drink. Ferment on the berry for a week, rack and let it settle.

Yes, I was planning on racking the beer onto the berries.

I don't have too many, though I've heard the same. I could get a bunch from nearby, but it would take hours! I've probably already spent 2 hours staining my clothes, stabbing myself with thorns, and fending off giant spiders to get the 3 lbs I have! Blackberry picking isn't the most pleasant of activities!

Back