blackberries in lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibby

Reaction score
I have a quite a lot of ripe blackberries in my backyard. More than I can use. I also have some lambic base that's been going for a few months. Has anybody made a blackberry lambic? How many pounds per gallon did you find to be ideal?

Also, any point of freezing it? I have heard that fresh berries are better because they have wild yeast on the surface.

Freezing fruit breaks the cell walls and allows them to release their juices more freely. Do you want more wild yeast?

Never made, but Upland makes a blackberry lambic that is quite good.

Ive used them before, I think that they work best in a lambic thats a bit softer as the acidity of the fruit is generally quite high

I just added 1.5 pounds of blackberries (smashed up in a food processor, almost to the point of being liquid) into my lambic/sour. That was a month ago. The flavor isn't really fruity or sweet, but they are definitely there. The color hasn't been affected too much, either.

@jeepinjeepin: My logic is that freshly-picked berries are better because they have naturally occurring wild yeast suited for breaking apart the sugars. I know that this is generally preferred in wine-making, for example.

@Gritsak: I noticed that Upland makes one, though unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to find it in the San Francisco Bay Area :/

@ryane: I can't imagine the acidity of blackberries to be more than the sour cherries used in krieks. But you're probably right, I would think any fruit flavor would be more pronounced in a "soft" lambic.

@SkinnyShamrock: Do you mean 1.5 lb / gallon or in total?

Back