Blackbeard Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dycokac

Reaction score
While I'm waiting to hear back from the Virgin islands brewing company if they will share a 5 gallon recipe... Has anyone drank/seen a clone recipe for it?

It's been a year+ since I drank it last but it's supposed to be a traditional Amber Ale. Digging around the interweb I've found out that the stuff in bottles they sell to the tourists on St Thomas is actually made in Minnesota (So says the master brewer down there) so really the only way to have the original recipe is visit the brewery on St Croix.

What i remember is that it was was more of a reddish brown in color, but light in body. Not too bitter, mostly sweet but not sweeter than a sweet stout and no ware near as sweet as a bitter.

Hopefully they will share a recipe with me or give me some hints :D

How does black patent affect flavor? or is it mostly a color modifier?

I'm thinking they must have used some chocolate malt but i'm still digging up a good amber ale, probably english more than anything.

Back