Black tea in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanchy

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a few gallon batches of cider, and want to use black tea to add some tannins and body. Does anyone have any experience with tea? What is a good tea/juice ratio?

Graham

I put tea in most of my ciders. Usually go for 0.5-0.75 oz of tea leaves into 1 gallon of hot water and steep for 5-15 minutes. I usually add my adjunct sugars into that hot water too and then that mixture into the juice. That's for a 5 gallon batch.

However, I've got one batch now where I just tossed that much tea directly into the fermenter. We'll see how that turns out.

I usually use a 1 bag per gallon ratio. I have found that cider made from either store bought juice or very sweet juice can handle more than that without being too much. Good luck and post results please.

Thanks for the info! 1 bag per gallon it is then. Also, good tip on adding the sugars into the tea first. I should be well on my way by the end of the week, I'll be sure to post some pics.

Graham

No pics, unfortunately, but all is going well. Batch 1- 4/5 Motts AJ, 1/5 Earl Grey tea, 1 lb honey, Lalvin D-47 yeast; Batch 2- 110 oz AJ, 18oz Earl Grey, and almost a pound (11oz) Blackstrap Molasses, Nottingham Ale Yeast; Batch 3- 4/5 AJ, 1/5 Earl Grey, and 1 cup raw sugar, Safbrew S-33 yeast.

Airlock activity started in all three within about 5 minutes of pitching; I had to hook a blowoff to the gallon with molasses (caught it just as the krausen was headed into the airlock :eek:). Everything is going smoothly now though. I'm a little concerned about the molasses being overpowering, but I suppose we'll see.

Did you check the cider recipe forum? I think there is one on there called boot strap or something that uses tea. I have always considered trying it, but haven't just yet.

No, I haven't checked out the recipe forum yet, I'll take a look around. Oak seems like it would be a pretty interesting addition as well.

Old thread, new question. Do you all just make tea (bag & water) then remove the bag and add to the juice? Before or after fermentation. Have any of you just put tea bags in the juice? Before or after fermentation?

Old thread, new question. Do you all just make tea (bag & water) then remove the bag and add to the juice? Before or after fermentation. Have any of you just put tea bags in the juice? Before or after fermentation?

I tried the teabag in the juice once... fell apart and made a mess. Those tea leaves didn't settle, and had to filter them out, which is an extra step I don't usually need to do. Since then I've added the equivalent of about 1 teabag per gallon in a solution (IF I'm just using store bought apple juice). I prepare it by bringing them to a boil in some juice, reducing heat to low and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then taking it off the stove and letting it cool. I then add it to the primary.

Sometimes I've repeated this and also added it to the secondary if I feel the cider needs it. I do like a good bit of that tannic hit on the back of the tongue though.

Alternatively, you can also use powdered wine tannin. It’s available at homebrew stores.
It’s relatively inexpensive and a little goes a long way.
If I’m using store juice I usually add about 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallon batch. Just make sure you dissolve in an ounce or two of warm water.
In my experience, it’s more predictable and easier to use than tea bags.

Alternatively, you can also use powdered wine tannin. It’s available at homebrew stores.
It’s relatively inexpensive and a little goes a long way.
If I’m using store juice I usually add about 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallon batch. Just make sure you dissolve in an ounce or two of warm water.
In my experience, it’s more predictable and easier to use than tea bags.

That’s what I use. I was just gonna try tea cuz a lot of recipes call for it.

Back