Black Tea and Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cge0

Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe for beer brewed with tea as flavoring? I would like to add Darjeeling 2nd Flush to my brew or Yerba Mate (Like Mateveza). I prefer to brew an IPA.

i'm planning a Lapsang Souchong oatmeal stout for my next brew...i've been warned against it for a few reasons...but i can't help myself from trying...sorry this doesn't really answer your question...but at least you know your not alone in the testing...

There has been some discussion on tea in beer before, but I don't remember if anyone has actually tried it. It would definately take some experimentation to figure out how much you'd want to use. If you have the equipment, you could split a batch, try half with tea, and half without.

beenjammin said:
i'm planning a Lapsang Souchong oatmeal stout for my next brew...i've been warned against it for a few reasons...but i can't help myself from trying...sorry this doesn't really answer your question...but at least you know your not alone in the testing...

Holy crap man, Lapsang Souchong? Good luck with that.
How much of it are you using for your stout?

Thanks for the advice guys.

at the very end of the boil i'm going to add enough leaves to give a clear aroma of the tea and then i'll strain it into the primary and top off as usual (and hope the tea flavour doesn't do anything strange or go completely unnoticed)...i usually do about 3 gallon extract boils. i'll be using a tried and true oatmeal stout recipe from the database here...just adding tea. i chose lapsang because it smell like smoke and always makes me want a beer...hah...

This is a beer I did with chai tea. I wanted a real malty heavier bodied beer, but it turned out watery think i had a bad mash (probably didn't stir enough or something). The taste is real nice other than the wateriness. Use one tea bag at 5 minutes or at flameout and you will get plenty of flavor in my opinion.
im not an expert but I chose a ale style with sublte hop flavor and bitterness to not conflict with the tea. An IPA might be hard to balance the hops and the tea, but u could always give it a try and see what happens(thats what I did on this one lol) cheers
:mug: Type: All Grain
Date: 8/13/2007
Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.85 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 65.9 %
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 16.5 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
0.10 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.1 %
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [6.10%] (60 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
0.75 oz Fuggles [3.50%] (20 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
1.00 items Chai Tea (Boil 5.0 min) Misc