Black speck... should I be worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matrim

Reaction score
I'm still pretty new to this. I have a batch that has been fermenting since 3.11

I just noticed two small black specks on the "yeast line" on the carboy sides. The picture is blurry but I think you can get the point.

Should I be worried about this? can I do anything?

IMG_0441.jpg

is that yeast line under liquid?? if so you should be fine as most mold need air to grow

That may be a good thing as the liquid is not in contact with it. I would rack it off to a new sterol container and see if you can save it. If you are rally worried about it you could bulk pasteurize than re-pitch the yeast. At least that way if it is mold all mold will be killed.

Umm, the picture isn't the best. The black speck could just be a bit of scorched malt from the bottom of your brew kettle you didn't notice before.

Kind of hard to tell from the pic, probably not anything to worry about at this point.

Wow, great pic, I can even see the texture of the carboy.

I give though, I don't have the foggiest idea of what that is. Is this just juice and yeast with some added sugar?

You could always watch it for a day or two and see if it changes any.

Sorry, I got nothing...

Its 2 gallons fresh juice with a couple cups of medium amber maillard syrup, DAP, Malic, and pectic enzyme with Nottingham.

Phooey. Thanks for the input guys.

Hard to tell exactly, but I'd agree with Daze. I'd tilt the carboy away from that spot and get it into another sanitized container as soon as you can.

Ugh, I wouldn't mind that much, but I'm fresh outta carboys. Any good method to do this without a carboy?

You'll increase the risk of oxidation, but you could always rack it to a bottling bucket, clean and sanitize the carboy and return it. The other option is to let it ride.

Well, I had to leave for the weekend and I didn't have anything to rack it into so I just left the cider "as is." I got back and I no longer see the black specks (I noticed there were more than one after I posted.) Don't know if this is a good or bad sign, but I'll assume it's good and ride it out.

Back