Black Saison or Saison Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
I'm brewing this today and I am not sure what I should tell people it is.
I was going to do a standard non-spiced saison but then on a whim and realizing I need a dark brew for my stock I decided to make it a stout.

Any thoughts?

Here's what I got for a 7 gallon batch:

7 lbs Pilsner LME
2.5 lbs 6 row
1.5 lbs oatmeal
1 lbs invert sugar (50/50 brown and white inverted and darkened) with a 1TBS of vanilla extract
.5 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs Belgian Special Chocolate
.25 lbs Dark Munich

I used a stove top mini mash with a multi-step so I should be in the neighborhood of .062 OG

I do a partial boil with 3 gallons so I must hop accordingly-

1 oz bravo @ 60 min
.5 American Northern Brewer @ 60 min
1 oz Sterling @ 30 min

I used theBrewer's Friend IBU calculator to figure a estimate total IBU of 28.5.

wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison

I have a prety good temp control system that I rigged up so I'm going to pitch in the low 70s and then increase a few degrees a day until I'm in the low 90s.

I'm doing the opposite, and making a "saison" using the wyeast belgian stout strain.
I'll call it a saison even if it isn't to style because it's my creation and it isn't intended for BJCP judging.

vegas20s said:
I do like the sound of that but I think it needs saison in the name since it's a saison yeast. Or is that just semantics?

With Belgian styles, I think it's all pretty much semantics. If you want to use 'saison', probably dark or black saison is better than a saison stout since both saison and stout are style names (would be like calling something a porter tripel)

With Belgian styles, I think it's all pretty much semantics. If you want to use 'saison', probably dark or black saison is better than a saison stout since both saison and stout are style names (would be like calling something a porter tripel)

Good point!

Black Saison it is!

Thanks

I am having the same issue. I recently brewed what was to be a dark saison but after tasting I really don't think I can call it that due to it's flavor. It's more malt forward rather than yeast and hops. It's still really good and would like to enter it in some contests but even if I enter it as a belgian specialty and specify the base style as saison I am sure the judges would have field day telling me it's not a saison because of the malt profile. It is a nice light roasty coffee flavor up front with some yeast and hops in the back. Let me know how yours turns out it looks good!

The heck with judges as long as it tastes good RDWHAHB!

I have 2 weeks in the primary and I'll be taking a gravity reading this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to bottle.

Yeah but that is completely different from what is being discussed.

Sure, but if the Great Divide Belgian Stout is the benchmark for the style, and what one brews tastes completely different, then one may not want to call theirs a Belgian Stout.

FYI

This has been bottle for a few weeks I've had a few already and I think it tasted better at bottling. Oh well I have to let it sit for a few weeks due to an anti-biotic treatment. Will let all know how it tastes after that.

vegas20s said:
The heck with judges as long as it tastes good RDWHAHB!

I have 2 weeks in the primary and I'll be taking a gravity reading this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to bottle.

As predicted, not a black saison in the judges eyes. In the comments section they said it was an easy drinking dark beer and is a great beer but not this style.

Back